By jjs
I am afraid the decals don't transfer to maxwel

You will have to get Juan to give the technical reason , but we all share your pain , its the most frustrating part, the texture and decal support that the SW API allows is not go enough for Maxwell to use.

Regards

Jonathan
By juan
jjs wrote:I am afraid the decals don't transfer to maxwel

You will have to get Juan to give the technical reason , but we all share your pain , its the most frustrating part, the texture and decal support that the SW API allows is not go enough for Maxwell to use.
As Jonathan says, it is not possible to get decals with the current sdk that SolidWorks provides to make plugins. THe only way is exporting the geometry to other application that can do that and then render it in Maxwell, or use Studio to do that. In studio you can create more than one texture channel for each object, so you can put for instance a wall texture in one channel and a decal in other one. In the next update there will be new features to work in this area easier, like for instance handlers to move the projectors manually in the viewport or real world texturin options.

Regards,

Juan
By Eric Lagman
For now to position textures in studio make sure your object has a projector. It will be exported in with "locked" in its projector tab. Change this to what you need ie. Flat, Cubic, Sphere, or Cylinder. Flat or cubic work for flat surfaces. Then to positon it the easiest way is to hold down alt key along with holding down your middle mouse wheel button then move your mouse up and down to change the numbers. You will see the white projector box move in your viewport. Note! Make sure your object is set to display as textured or textured decal in its properties. Also in the top left of the viewport you have to set this to the same. The default is shaded view which wont show you textures. I know it seems overly complicated, but once you dig into it for a few days it will be much easier. Good luck. Like Juan was saying in the next update we will be able to drag the texture in the viewport with control handles which will be nice.
By jjs
Eric Lagman wrote:For now to position textures in studio make sure your object has a projector. It will be exported in with "locked" in its projector tab. Change this to what you need ie. Flat, Cubic, Sphere, or Cylinder. Flat or cubic work for flat surfaces. Then to positon it the easiest way is to hold down alt key along with holding down your middle mouse wheel button then move your mouse up and down to change the numbers. You will see the white projector box move in your viewport. Note! Make sure your object is set to display as textured or textured decal in its properties. Also in the top left of the viewport you have to set this to the same. The default is shaded view which wont show you textures. I know it seems overly complicated, but once you dig into it for a few days it will be much easier. Good luck. Like Juan was saying in the next update we will be able to drag the texture in the viewport with control handles which will be nice.
Eric - wow - is that all in the manual? I really must read it again :-) and try out your tips - or else you are very patient

Regards

Jonathan
By jjs
easiest way is to hold down alt key along with holding down your middle mouse wheel button then move your mouse up and down to change the numbers
Eric - not sure what you mean by this - can't get this bit to work. The mddle button just seems tp pan the whole scene. However I get to see the texture - hurray !!

Regards

Jonathan
By Eric Lagman
jjs wrote:
easiest way is to hold down alt key along with holding down your middle mouse wheel button then move your mouse up and down to change the numbers
Eric - not sure what you mean by this - can't get this bit to work. The mddle button just seems tp pan the whole scene. However I get to see the texture - hurray !!

Regards

Jonathan
Hold your cursour over one of the numerical value fields first.
By OlivierG
Hello There,
Just following up on the topic of applying differents material on faces of a body.
(in our case : plywood edges and painted plywood faces, see http://www.untothislast.co.uk/ - 100% Maxwell)
At the part level it works fine : I can select faces and apply material and select bodies and apply another one.
Problem is when I want to import this part into an assembly : it looses the material applied to faces (I read in a thread that starting with faces and then bodies would help, it did not work with me)
- Is there a way round this issue ? It is possible to have a part with faces in a material different from the bodies, to keep its material attribution when imported in an assembly ?

One crude solution is to create offset sufaces on all the faces, and apply material on them as body, but this is not very elegant.

More generally at the assembly level, it seems to be impossible to apply material on any face.
- Is it a know limitation of the software ?

The transition to MX studio is really smooth though, and with F8 the faces can be selected easily, but I am trying to get realistics previews in SW.

Also some unrelated question : where do I get some documentation on the maxwell pluging for solidworks ? And is the help supposed to work ?

Is there any way to control the aspect ratio of the camera in Solidworks ? (I can set my film size to 24x24 but the preview windon in SW is still rectangular)

Thanks for help.

Olivier
By superbad
Olivier-
I can't really help with your problem (I'm interested in the solution though, because I need to do the same thing), but I'm very familiar with your work. I was looking all over your site a couple months ago and never realized those were renders (I can see it now that I've been told of course). Well done.
By juan
OlivierG wrote: Problem is when I want to import this part into an assembly : it looses the material applied to faces (I read in a thread that starting with faces and then bodies would help, it did not work with me)
- Is there a way round this issue ? It is possible to have a part with faces in a material different from the bodies, to keep its material attribution when imported in an assembly ?

One crude solution is to create offset sufaces on all the faces, and apply material on them as body, but this is not very elegant.
Hello Olivier,

It must work, you should be able to apply materials to faces in assemblies and keep this assigment when importing to another assembly. If it is failing it would be very interesting if you can send me a simple scene that reproduces this undesired behaviour. I will be out of the office until the 17th but then I will look into it deeply.

Thank you very much for your report and congrats for your awesome work,

Juan
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]