All posts related to V3
By mjcherry
As the title states I'm trying to render a scene that keeps crashing. I routinely render scenes with very many light sources, large texture maps and I render to 6K (usually). While these renders do take a while, I've only ever had a system crash when trying to pretesselate too much displacement (not enough ram - I have 64g). This scene however only has about 12 lights, no textures over 6K, very little displacement (ram usage never goes above 19.45) and I'm only rendering a 2K image. For the life of me I can't figure out why it keeps crashing. Any thoughts?
By mjcherry
When it crashes is a mixed bag. Mostly it crashed during or just after voxelisation. However, even if it gets through that process, it eventually crashes after a few hours as well.

Can I upgrade to .1.5 can I resume this render or will I have to restart it?

I have very little displacement going on, but the displacement I do have is necessary.
By F. Tella
Are you using on the fly displacement or pretessellated?

Could it be happening that when using on the fly it crashes during render and if choosing pretess it crashes during voxelization or subdividing the mesh? My guess is that the subdividing process could be creating a corrupt mesh if the base mesh is not great.

If the problem is coming from the displacement mesh I would try to subdivide it previously in your modelling app and reducing the amount of subdivisions done by Maxwell. Maybe this way the result is better.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Fernando
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]