All posts related to V3
By Asmithey
Hi,

Using Maxwell 3.2.1.5. I recently did some interior renderings. Each project was rendered to 18SL. One turned out great and one had a consistant grain on everything in the scene.

I used the same lighting, emitters, materials and sky set up using same IBL file for illumination. I even used most of the same materials on each project. The only major difference between the two projects is one has an open ceiling which all the structure is black. I am wondering if this contributed to the grain. I just used a diffuse black material. The client did not want to see any reflections on the structure above. Here are a couple of crops from the raw renderings.

I checked for duplicating emitters and emitters intersecting geometry. I did not find anything. Any ideas on why one might be grainy over another?

Thanks

Not Grainy

Grainy

By burnin
Yup it's the black. Takes more time to clear as it doesn't bounces any rays back.
Either fix reflections in post or use gray (some neutral, ambient color).
By Asmithey
Ok. Next time I render it like you say maybe a grey then render the alpha channel and just make it black in post. Being able to render the alpha channels is a huge time saver. I render an alpha channel for everything so I have the ability to fix things like color correction and brightness and contrast. What I did is used the alpha channels to separate everything out and did reduce noise to each piece. Some parts required more noise reduction than others. I had zero time to re-render the image.

Thanks
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]