All posts related to V3
By Jakob Ryngen
Hello!
I am trying to produce the translucent effect of light when it passes through a leaf. The material can be very simple, no clip maps or textures, but it should just perform as a leaf from distance. Grateful for any advice.
Best,
Jakob
By Jakob Ryngen
Thank you. This is a bit too complicated though. I just wanted a setting that transmits light like a leaf without being transparent.
By Jakob Ryngen
Thank you for your patience! This gives a rather white result on leaves for some reason (reflectance 0 is dark green in mxm) as if it had snowed. Leaves still appear rather dark.
By Mihai
just turn on thinSSS, green transmittance, att. distance about 1mm. Set coefficient param to something like 100 and sss color to non black to activate it. Set the thickness setting in the thinSSS also to the same or slightly smaller than the attenuation distance. Finally set the SSS asymmetry to a negative nr to have a more translucent effect when the material is backlit. About -0.7.
By choo-chee
I highly recommend maxwellzone.com leaf pack. got one, it's amazing.
By Jakob Ryngen
Thank you for the information. It is my knowledge (please correct me if I am wrong) that clip mapped leaves are too heavy in Maxwell when applied to a full tree (and that is what I am rendering). Clip maps are good for keeping the polygons low but when rendering modeled leaves are better.
By Mihai
It depends entirely how much of the polygon that you apply a clip mapped material to, will finally get hidden. If the actual visible area covers large parts of the polygon it's applied to, then clip mapped stuff will not have such a huge impact on render time.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]