All posts related to V3
Using MW 3.2 (windows 7pro 64bit)
I was just noticing that my rendering speed was very slow when using the "batch_render" script in MW render. It was like all the cores were not being used?, but the console read using all 32 cores.

When I use Network Rendering and just my machine everything works just fine at normal rendering speed.

Any thoughts.
Yes, I've run a small test a short while ago and I confirm that while loop in the code sucks the performance.
Here's how it works:
Code: Select all
for( i = 0; i < mxsCount; i++ )
{
  renderScene();
  while( 1 )
  {
    if( isRendering == 0 )
    {
        break;
    }
  }
}
Throughout this loop, it checks if it's still rendering or stopped in every possible tick it can.

I suggest writing a dos batch which worked like a charm for me.
I circumvented the problem with a pyMaxwell script I found online- Andrew Hazelden's Maxwell-Render-Toolbox. Very useful and easy enough to setup as long as you remember to replace any pasted folder location backslashes with /. Rendering speed was back to normal.

I don't use batch render often, but have done in previous Maxwell versions without this issue.
:?: OK so now I'm just rendering normal scenes (no scripts) and they are stuck in SLOW mode. This happens when opening an MXS from MW render, or rendering straight from Rhino. I restart the computer and sometimes it fixes it, but today it kept rendering impossibly slow even after restarting. The thread setting was Auto, but I changed manually to 32 (my machines max) and it got to SL2 quickly, but then went super slow again??!!

Should I just reinstall, or is there some other fix?
adamwade wrote::?: OK so now I'm just rendering normal scenes (no scripts) and they are stuck in SLOW mode. This happens when opening an MXS from MW render, or rendering straight from Rhino. I restart the computer and sometimes it fixes it, but today it kept rendering impossibly slow even after restarting. The thread setting was Auto, but I changed manually to 32 (my machines max) and it got to SL2 quickly, but then went super slow again??!!

Is this on win 7/8 or win 10? If it's win7/8 my next question would be, if the windows update is enabled. If yes, disable the update service.
burnin wrote:You can leave CPU Threads on Automatic unless you need some for extra work while rendering. More important (the solution) is to set Priority from Low to Normal. It is still same with v4.
Hmm. I can try this, but I've been using Maxwell for over 10 years and never had this occur before. It's always been in low priority. Thanks for the idea.
numerobis wrote:
adamwade wrote::?: OK so now I'm just rendering normal scenes (no scripts) and they are stuck in SLOW mode. This happens when opening an MXS from MW render, or rendering straight from Rhino. I restart the computer and sometimes it fixes it, but today it kept rendering impossibly slow even after restarting. The thread setting was Auto, but I changed manually to 32 (my machines max) and it got to SL2 quickly, but then went super slow again??!!

Is this on win 7/8 or win 10? If it's win7/8 my next question would be, if the windows update is enabled. If yes, disable the update service.

Yes this is Windows 7 and yes windows update is on, but set to manual download & install. So it only checks for updates, but will not download or install automatically. I will definitely try this (thank you !), but it's strange that I've never had this problem before in over 10 years of Maxwell use.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]