All posts related to V3
By Tok_Tok
Hi,

I'm working on making some displacement water drop maps for a bottle render project. I've been rendering out 1 drop and photoshopping it into a complete displacement texture.

The displacement result that Maxwell showed was not what I was expecting, I expected the shape to be the same as the one I modeled and made a displacement map from. Instead I got this:

The result I got from the 3ds max Displace modifier looks the same as the original shape but Maxwell makes something different of it..

Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?
By ababak
I am not sure how it's done in Max, but I'd check a color space of the displacement map, make sure there's no gamma correction and it's linear.
By Hervé
Make sure you assign an sGray profile in PS (not convert, just assign) 16 bits.. and all will be fine :D
By Tok_Tok
Read a little article about sGrey profile, understood it, applied it aaaand nothing... same effect as before.

But then I went back into the option menu when saving the tiff and set the Gamma to 1.0, problem fixed! Thanks Ababak! Turns out Max has the gamma set to automatic and this ruins it. PNG's don't have this problem(just checked this) but because I was doing a tutorial I used Tiff, cost me a lot of time..

Anyway thanks for the suggestions!
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]