All posts related to V3
By Tok_Tok
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do water drops on a bottle using pFlow in 3ds Max. The Blobmesh in 3ds Max ridiculously slow and almost unusable. Unfortunately Thinkbox's Frost is not supported (as far as I know) and rendering the particles from pFlow isn't a succes aswell. Maxwell has a very nice mesher build in but is only compatible with BIN files but not pFlow emitters. When trying to render the pFlow particles directly, maxwell renders all the particles in one event the same size. Below the comparison.

Does anyone know a trick to get this done? Maybe another plugin that's supported?
By Tok_Tok
Mihai wrote:I guess the RealFlow renderkit can export bin files from the pFlow particles:
http://support.nextlimit.com/display/rf ... low+Export

So pFlow can't export to bin?
That will probably work like a charm but I don't have those buttons. I only have a Mesher object and a Particles object which both ask for realflow BIN files, not export them. I don't know how to get to the window that's described on the support site. It says I have to press the first BIN button but I don't have those, also I don't have the icon thats described.

The exporter seems perfect for the job though.

EDIT - Oh wait that is the realflow support page! Give me a moment to try it out :)
By Tok_Tok
I updated Maxwell to 3.2 (beta) to try the nested dielectrics but found that the max plugin is not compatible with this yet. So I exported the scene to Maxwell Studio and tried the nested dielectrics there, but what I found was that there was no difference with giving the droplets or the bottle priority over each other, they were rendering fine either way. This is strange because when rendering the scene directly from 3ds Max the droplets always render as black dots. This is the raw render(WIP), I think this looks correct right?

I also tried the mxmesher but it freezes my PC almost completely when I use it with fire. The orientation of the mesher object is also turned 90 degrees. This is probably because of the not updated max plugin, mxscatter is also not working. For the render above I used the Blobmesh, it works but only with patience :)
By Tok_Tok
Yeah that looks pretty good. I like the way the droplets are distributed and rolling of the bottle. The render itself seems a bit flat to me.

I want to do another test, the rolling droplets with Pflow (because they follow the surface nicely) and the other drops, which shouldn't be as round as they are now, with maxwell scatter and model them by hand. If I can find a good displacement map I'll test that too.

Anyway enough to do still :D
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]