All posts related to V3
gmenzel wrote:There is nothing to simply "fix". If you add reflections on top of an already (even diffusely) reflective surface, you get more light reflected than you should. What is needed is a better approach to physically stacked material layers. Something like the coating component, only more capable.
What about the good old method of using several BSDFs inside one layer?
ababak wrote:What about the good old method of using several BSDFs inside one layer?
Blending BSDFs can only ever be an approximation, because the blending weights are fixed and independent from the angle of incident light. This approach will unfortunatelly never produce realistic behavior for glossy materials.
In trying to replicate that scene I linked , a coating also does not replicate it gmenzel( used a 75000 nm coating with 1.5 ior force fresnel) . It never gets bright enough at the horizon edge, where as additive matches completely ( 1.5 ior force fresnel ) .

Is it just the bright edge of fresnel you do not like ? or does maxwell still fail the test with the torus? ( is that mxs available)
photomg1 wrote:the only way I can correctly mimic the effect shown on the link is to use additive as shown earlier on in this thread with Jason's video link.

https://support.solidangle.com/download ... 000&api=v2
It looks like a synthetic and not realistic material, while Maxwell is about realism. Do you have any real world examples that you can't mimic that way?
photomg1 wrote:In trying to replicate that scene I linked , a coating also does not replicate it gmenzel( used a 75000 nm coating with 1.5 ior force fresnel) . It never gets bright enough at the horizon edge, where as additive matches completely ( 1.5 ior force fresnel ) .

Is it just the bright edge of fresnel you do not like ? or does maxwell still fail the test with the torus? ( is that mxm available)
The issue I have described only relates to fresnel in as far as the effect tends to be the most visible at grazing angles, because, for most materials, that's where reflectiveness is the strongest. Look at the examples on page 4 for a direct comparison. If the additive approach to coatings had no side effects, these two images should look identical.
ababak wrote:
photomg1 wrote:the only way I can correctly mimic the effect shown on the link is to use additive as shown earlier on in this thread with Jason's video link.

https://support.solidangle.com/download ... 000&api=v2
It looks like a synthetic and not realistic material, while Maxwell is about realism. Do you have any real world examples that you can't mimic that way?
Thats a bit of an oxymoronic statement.
gmenzel wrote:
photomg1 wrote:In trying to replicate that scene I linked , a coating also does not replicate it gmenzel( used a 75000 nm coating with 1.5 ior force fresnel) . It never gets bright enough at the horizon edge, where as additive matches completely ( 1.5 ior force fresnel ) .

Is it just the bright edge of fresnel you do not like ? or does maxwell still fail the test with the torus? ( is that mxm available)
The issue I have described only relates to fresnel in as far as the effect tends to be the most visible at grazing angles, because, for most materials, that's where reflectiveness is the strongest. Look at the examples on page 4 for a direct comparison. If the additive approach to coatings had no side effects, these two images should look identical.
Thats the point I was trying to make before though in that coatings don't seem to give the full fresnel effect in maxwell.
photomg1 wrote:Thats the point I was trying to make before though in that coatings don't seem to give the full fresnel effect in maxwell.
Maxwell's own coating component is physically correct in at least the sense that it doesn't cause light amplification. I haven't used the coating component much though, because of its limitations, which make it less useful for my work. But I think it serves as a good baseline when comparing the results of alternative approaches.
gmenzel wrote:
photomg1 wrote:Thats the point I was trying to make before though in that coatings don't seem to give the full fresnel effect in maxwell.
Maxwell's own coating component is physically correct in at least the sense that it doesn't cause light amplification. I haven't used the coating component much though, because of its limitations, which make it less useful for my work. But I think it serves as a good baseline when comparing the results of alternative approaches.
It only serves as a baseline if it correctly adheres to the correct ior fresnel brightness/reflection amount at glancing angles. This is what I'm throwing into question, hence the scene I was showing as an example to match.

:o
photomg1 wrote:It only serves as a baseline if it correctly adheres to the correct ior fresnel brightness/reflection amount at glancing angles. This is what I'm throwing into question, hence the scene I was showing as an example to match.

:o
It might be better to open a new thread specifically for that question. The purpose of this thread here is to address the light amplification problem when using the additive approach to simulate coated materials.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]