All posts related to V3
By jfrancis
Okay, so you know how you might have a material like a metal, and you might map roughness so that it doesn't look so uniform and CG?

And do you also know how when making a complex material you might layer gold on top of plastic through a layer mask?

Does anyone ever, say, turn gold gradually into plastic by correctly mapping every single parameter that differs between the two?

It's a big hassle to set up the maps but if you do it right you could create quite a few materials in which the parameters ramp from one material to another to another to another, and yet the whole material would maybe only be one layer deep.

Aside from being complicated to do, is there any merit in mapping material parameters in such a way as to radically alter the material over space, and not just make it a bit rougher here and there or add a layer of dust on top?

Granted there are times when you don't want a material halfway between one thing and another. You want one material 50% ghosted over another. And there are some parameters you can't map, like force Fresnel -- it's either checked or not. But what do you think?
By eric nixon
I think for opaque mats it shouldnt matter if the weight map is in params or the bsdf weight. Seeing as such a weightmap would 'consume' the parameters map slot, it will be rare that you have that option anyway.
By jfrancis
I see now that I can't map Nd and attenuation and some other things, so I guess there aren't too many materials I can transition between, except via the layer mask way.
By jfrancis
I think I may have written this thread before Allegorithmic Substance Painter 1 came out, and I'm only now getting around to learning the software, but I find as I learn more about it my thoughts return to this idea of being able to create any Maxwell material whatsoever with the right texture maps in the right places.
By tom
Opacity alone is not enough for making such a transition. It can only blend their final look. You need to interpolate every single parameter in order to make this kind of a transition.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]