All posts related to V3
By Tok_Tok
Hello,

I don't know if I should be posting this in the 3ds max section or here because the problem is occurring in Max but I think it is a fundamental Maxwell thing. I have scene with around a 100 objects that are imported from a STEP file so the polycount is high, 6 million for the entire scene. Whenever I use FIRE to render the scene the voxelisation takes a very long time, maybe more then 15 min. Even when hiding all but one object it takes unusually long to voxelate. I don't know why this is but it probably has something to do with the imported objects.

When I export the scene for a Production Render than the voxelisation takes maybe 15 - 20 seconds. When I export the scene and open it in Studio the voxelisation takes around 5 - 10 seconds. So why is it taking so long inside Max??
By photomg1
Marton Day8 wrote:Hello,

Very slow export:
Your mesh contains more than 6mill polygons and it has 9 (or was it 12?) uvmaps - which means a lot of data. That makes the export process very slow. But the crash is a bug (in Maxwell API), I hope it can be fixed.

Márton
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... 11&t=43758

My reply wasn't the most calm at being told that was a lot of data hence me deleting it, put it this way I tried to sell my maxwell licenses that day I'm glad I didnt but I've been unable to recommend maxwell to anyone since as I think that's terrible that export should choke like that on what I regard as a modest dataset.

Must admit I'm slightly relieved to see this is not just a modo plugin limitaion. Sorry for your pain though with it. Marton has a copy of my file.

It does make me wonder about maxwell 4 , as it doesnt matter how fast or what quality the render engine is if the effort to get data into it is bigger than render improvements gained in my case using the maxwell engine over modo .All the effort is for nothing.
By Mihai
photomg1, for what it's worth I don't consider that to be a huge dataset. Maybe it depends also what the plugin dev has to work with in terms of the main apps SDK and how quickly it provides data to an export plugin. Just speculating. But I know for example exports from XSI are very fast with millions of polygons. I mean it's not instantaneous of course. But if it takes 30secs-1minute every time, I would consider that annoying. It's not clear from that post when you say it takes "1 minute to view a change" if you mean only the export time or export + voxelisation time. Of course things like the subdiv modifier and displacement, and hair and especially also if you have MB turned on, will take longer to voxelize. Once the voxelisation is done, you can move the camera and the changes are instantaneous, and you can change parameters that don't affect the voxelisation, like fstop, material settings (except displacement settings).

But for the original posters problem it seems something is weird with that geometry...the voxelisation time should be the same.
By photomg1
Hi Mihai,

in that case it was a sub d model of a camera with no displacement fur etc no obvious bottlenecks.That opens in modo's preview in literally seconds( i mean like 3-4) .Honestly I dare not even use maxwell for work due to constantly running into bottlenecks with modo and maxwell.If it was just even 30 seconds I could just about put up with it on a modest scene but its worse than that.

Fingers crossed for the future.
By Tok_Tok
Maybe it depends also what the plugin dev has to work with in terms of the main apps SDK and how quickly it provides data to an export plugin
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. If there is one software package I hate it is 3ds max. It is old, slow, can't handle big scenes file importing works bad and crashes a lot. The development is also at a very minor pass. The only reason I still use it is because I don't have the time to learn another package. Anyway, wanted to get that of my chest :)

Btw exporting takes about 15 secs.

I'll not be surprised to find that NL is done by n[…]

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]