End date: May 13
By Matt_Cooke
Hi, Could somebody at Maground, or one of the competition organisers please provide the camera information, specifically focal length, for each of the back plates?
Also, I noticed that there is some confusion about whether we need to use the backplate AND the hdri for our render. The competition rules state the following: 'You must use one of the 4 provided MAGROUND HDR domes or backplates from Valencia, Spain.' This implies that we can use the hdri only for our render and exclude the back plate if we want...
Thanks,
Matt
By mashium123
Matt_Cooke wrote:...The competition rules state the following: 'You must use one of the 4 provided MAGROUND HDR domes or backplates from Valencia, Spain.' This implies that we can use the hdri only for our render and exclude the back plate if we want...
Thanks,
Matt
well, to be more precise, the rules (http://www.maxwellrender.com/index.php/ ... mpetitions) do say:
"You must use one of the 4 provided backplates/HDRs of Valencia, Spain."
from what i understand, this would mean one of the four provided backplate/hdri combinations must be used.
By Matt_Cooke
mashium123 wrote:well, to be more precise, the rules (http://www.maxwellrender.com/index.php/ ... mpetitions) do say:
from what i understand, this would mean one of the four provided backplate/hdri combinations must be used.
Mashium, I was being very precise as I was quoting directly from the competition rules as written in the email from nextlimit that I received upon registering.

I quote:

Competition Description and Rules

You must render your scene with Maxwell Render - find tips on working with HDRIs in Maxwell Render here.
You must use one of the 4 provided MAGROUND HDR domes or backplates from Valencia, Spain.
Want some tips to improve your render before you submit your final entry? Post your render on the Maxwell Render forum to get feedback before April 29, 2013 (make sure to register first in order to post).
You can submit as many final renders as you like through the competition website (but your LAST entry before 11:59pm CET on April 29, 2013 will be the only one judged).
In-house Maxwell Render experts and public voting on the top entries will determine the winners (voting on www.maxwellrender.com April 30 - May 6, 2013).

It seems that there is conflicting information out there in this regard, so I hope that someone from the competition will clear this up.
By mashium123
yes, sorry for getting into it. i wasn't aware of the origin you were quoting from.
i looked it up and can confirm it. the mail sounds different than the text on the given website.
Matt_Cooke wrote:
mashium123 wrote:well, to be more precise, the rules (http://www.maxwellrender.com/index.php/ ... mpetitions) do say:
Mashium, I was being very precise as I was quoting directly from the competition rules as written in the email from nextlimit that I received upon registering.

I quote:

Competition Description and Rules

You must render your scene with Maxwell Render - find tips on working with HDRIs in Maxwell Render here.
You must use one of the 4 provided MAGROUND HDR domes or backplates from Valencia, Spain.
Want some tips to improve your render before you submit your final entry? Post your render on the Maxwell Render forum to get feedback before April 29, 2013 (make sure to register first in order to post).
You can submit as many final renders as you like through the competition website (but your LAST entry before 11:59pm CET on April 29, 2013 will be the only one judged).
In-house Maxwell Render experts and public voting on the top entries will determine the winners (voting on http://www.maxwellrender.com April 30 - May 6, 2013).

It seems that there is conflicting information out there in this regard, so I hope that someone from the competition will clear this up.
By Mihai
Well the overall theme of this competition is stated on the competition page:
You've been challenged to create a render, "estilo español" (Spanish style), using hi-res backplates or high dynamic range (HDR) domes straight from Valencia, Spain! Choose from 4 Valencia location sets (each consisting of one backplate and a matching HDR dome) provided by our friends at MAGROUND, create your "Spanish" scene, and then render it with Maxwell Render.
You have to pick those locations, to be visible in your render, so it's clear that it's somewhere in Spain. This is the theme of the competition. Meaning you have to use one of the four backplates provided. And if you are using the backplates, then logically you would use the accompanying HDR to light your objects. The word "or" in that sentence is unfortunate, consider it as "and" :)
By Matt_Cooke
Respectfully Mihai,
Your interpritation of the rules is simply that, an interpritation, as the rules as witten are ambiguous.
It says: "You've been challenged to create a render, "estilo español" (Spanish style), using hi-res backplates or high dynamic range (HDR) domes straight from Valencia"
It then goes on to say: Choose from 4 Valencia location sets (each consisting of one backplate and a matching HDR dome) provided by our friends at MAGROUND, create your "Spanish" scene, and then render it with Maxwell Render.
This can clearly be interpreted as download one of the four sets. Each contains an hdri and a backplate. As mentioned before, use either, or both for your 'spanish style render'.
Using the backplate is not a huge problem for me, as I was planning to use one anyway, but I think that it is very restrictive to force everyone to use the same plates as it means that we must all have exactly the same composition to avoid any paralaxing and scale issues. It also means that all people are going to see of valencia is for points of view rather than a whole host of interiors and exteriors using the theme "estilo Español" for inspiration and the hdri's for lighting and a real sense of location...
Best wishes,
Matt
By Mihai
Matt_Cooke wrote:It also means that all people are going to see of valencia is for points of view rather than a whole host of interiors and exteriors
But how would they do that if they have to use one of the four HDR images? If they want to integrate an object into some other photos they have, they also have to use a matching HDR for that photo? Otherwise the lighting won't match. And then they would not be following the rules of the competition. That's why I don't think it's logical to assume you should use either the HDR or the photo. It's in fact the photos that are important, not the HDRs.
By chedda
I've never used a backplate in maxwell. I see no slot for a tiff in the environment setting. Is this something that is only done in post production ? It does seem very limiting as well considering all of the entries will have a choice of 4 fixed views.
By Matt_Cooke
I could model an interior or exterior scene and then use the hdri as the back plate and lighting source, as is the case with 90% if all IBL cgi. Seems pretty straight forward.
By Mihai
Maground have responded that the focal length of the lens is 45mm. So to recap:

Film back (sensor) size: 49.1x36.8mm
Lens focal length: 45mm

You need to enter the sensor size above in your main applications camera setting or in Maxwell Studio (in the Camera Parameters panel) in order to then enter the 45mm focal length and have a correct match. If you use a smaller or larger film back/sensor size, the 45mm focal length needs to be recalculated, so use this film back size.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]