Hi guys- although probably only JD will read this as it feels like I am the last guy to upgrade :) ...it is on my agenda for next week though so I am looking forward to learning a new material system :).

I need to create an oxidized sterling silver material that will appear darker in the recesses and low spots of a sculpted model. I have no idea where to start. I am wondering if I need to create a clip map but wonder how to line up a clip map with my camera angle etc.....

Any thoughts? I will leave this here for the day and then repost over to the main forum

THANKS as usual
So the texture will be object-dependent...if it's something like a ring, something quite geometric, then you may be able to paint the texture accurately enough using photoshop, then map it using Rhino's mapping tools. If it's more complicated than that, then you would need to look at using a UV-unwrapping technique, and that means taking your model out into something other than Rhino.

If you're creative though, I suppose that you might get away with some other workarounds, given that (a) silver is a homogenous material, and (b) you can explode the object and apply different materials to each surface. So, one way would be to have a basic 'clean' silver material, and then another one which is 'dirty'...you'd want the edges of your 'dirty' texture to be feathered out so that they blend nicely with the clean material where they meet at the seams between surfaces in Rhino. You wouldn't use any projections in this case, just the basic Surface mapping.
Thanks JD- I finally have this whole texture mapping thing figured out (steel rope was a great lesson) and now this eh :).... I will have to ponder my approach and maybe check out some uv unwrapping software... I am up for a creative approach just not sure how to approach the texture feathering between dirty and clean faces with my model yet.
Thanks for your quick reply as usual!
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]