By JPMays
Basically what I'm trying to do is have two rectangular blocks perpendicular to each other, with a wood grain texture. I want the textures to be 90 degrees to each other, but I'm using the same mxm. I tried adjusting it using one rotation on channel 1 and the opposite on channel 2, and it looks fine in Rhino, renders fine with Maxwell, but if I make any changes to the size or position, the one on channel 2 switches back to the orientation of the other piece. What gives?
By JDHill
Probably the objects are sharing mappings; it's a known issue in Rhino, and you can try using the TestSeparateMapping command to address it. Alternatively, there is a simpler way to do it:

1. do not assign any explicit mappings via Rhino
2. use Channel 0 in your Maxwell textures and enable Real Scale
3. control rotation using Object Properties > Maxwell Object Properties > Real Scale Texture Control

There is a tutorial near the end of the plugin manual that goes through this in more detail - let me know if you have any questions about it.
By JPMays
I've got a related question to #2: You say to use channel 0 in my maxwell texture, how do I enable that? If i go to Object Properties > Maxwell Object Properties there's no option for channels.
By JDHill
That refers to the Channel parameter in the Maxwell texture itself (i.e. in the material editor texture panel). It's not in Maxwell Object Properties because the parameters there apply to the object, and as such cannot logically map to those in the material which may be assigned to it, since that material may be assigned to many objects.
By kami
I got another question to real scale:
If I use a texture of 2x2m and a bump texture of 1x1m. How is the plugin behaving? Sorry for not having tested it. I was in a hurry during the last days and used the above setting and had the impression that the 2x2m texture was cropped to 1x1m.
By JDHill
Hi Kami, I guess I might not understand what you mean by saying it would be cropped. As the texture sizes are specified in real units, you will just get as much of the texture visible as there is space on the object. For example, here is a 6x6 checkerboard texture used at tile x/y = 3m in the reflectance 0 channel and tile x/y = 1m in the mask channel, assigned to a 1x1m plane:

So, we are clearly seeing that texture in the reflectance 0 channel is 3m square and we are only able to see a 2x2 section of the checker pattern, while in the mask channel, it is 1m square and we can see the whole 6x6 pattern.

Does this help to answer your question, or have I completely missed it?
By kami
thanks, that's great. it works as expected!
i also did a quick test ... which lead to another question:
is it possible to control the position of the real scale texture? i know how easy it is to rotate, but in some cases you'd also like to move the origin of the texture.

in two scenarios it would be required:
1 - if want to show a specific part of the texture on one object and your too lazy to use a custom tiling ... ;)
2 - if you got a lot of similar objects next to each other, they all show the exact same part of the texture which makes them all look exactly the same (eg. wooden boards)

cheers, kami
By JDHill
Currently, the answer to both questions is no - it is by the use of an obscure hack that the plugin is able to attach the textures in an object-centric way at all. I will think about it though...it may be possible to extend the Maxwell Object Properties > Real Scale Texture control section with some object-specific tile & offset parameters. Internally, I am using a Rhino cube mapping, so it ought to be possible.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]