By caryjames
I run into this issue quite often when using brushed finish maps. I can't tell if it is the texture overlapping at this one point or if it is the texture being stretched. The brushed texture looks great elsewhere on the ring, but here it is causing problems.

I have tried using different texture maps- all high res but still the same issue. I have also tried changing the size of the texture, orientation etc but I still have a visible difference at this point on the ring- usually it is at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Besides switching to another application for better mapping of textures is there any way I can make this less noticeable (without changing my camera angle/shot) just using Rhino?

By JDHill
Well, if we say that we are looking at 3 o'clock on the ring, it looks like a planar projection from above (or below, same difference) because the texture is being stretched out right at that position, and it appears to be mirrored above and below (you can see the moiré pattern being mirrored).

I'm not sure though if you were specifically asking how I could see that, or if it was more that you are asking me to describe how one could make the determination. If it's the latter, just:

- select the object
- go to Object Properties > Texture Mapping
- check Show Advanced UI
- select the planar mapping in the list
- click Show Mapping

You should (*should*) see a widget in the viewport which represents the planar projector, and you should be able to drag this around if you want to. However, I'd probably use a cylindrical mapping for that piece. If the scratches need to map around the front, then I might split the geometry, make a concentric scratch map, and planar-project that (I'd need a second material) on the front parts.

But...let me know if that wasn't what you were asking.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]