By osuire
Hi ! I'm Olivier, and I just purchased a license of Maxwell, so I get to post here now.
Just wanted to start off with a compliment to JD and his great plug-in.
At first I was attracted by the "Fry" side of the force, but their Rhino plug-in made me warp back to the "Max" side at lightspeed.
My work involves the design tensile structures. You can see those in airports, shopping malls, stadiums, etc...
Generally, if you see a big curvy piece of white fabric which is not attached to a boat, then it's a tensile structure :)
So I do mostly outdoor shots, which makes an unbiased render engine a good choice for me.
I'm still fighting to get a realistic look of the membranes, but I'm sure I can find some help around here !

Cheers !
By ivox3
We can never have enough Olivier(s) around here .... :) Greetings..

Am I correct that there's actually a plug-in that makes those type structures ? -- I faintly recall such a thing..

Anyway, that material isn't gonna be too difficult. But don't ask me, ask KurtS. The 'S' stands for 'Simulate'. :lol:
By JDHill
Hi Olivier, glad to see you here. :)

Not sure about your material question, but is it basically a PFTE-based membrane such as used on the HHH Metrodome? (that's in my hometown, btw)
By iker
ivox3 wrote: Am I correct that there's actually a plug-in that makes those type structures ?
I think you mean this one ---> Rhino Membrane
By osuire
JDHill wrote:Hi Olivier, glad to see you here. :)

Not sure about your material question, but is it basically a PFTE-based membrane such as used on the HHH Metrodome? (that's in my hometown, btw)
Hi JD !
Wow, three answers already, and one from you.
I feel just like in the Rhino forum here :D

Since you seem interested here's my little tensile fabric material lecture :
-PTFE (Teflon) + Fiberglass fabric is a high class, long lasting fabric used in harsh environments.
It actually WHITENS with UV, unlike most other things.
Here's one I did in Riyadh some time ago : http://www.box.net/shared/90tmxuni37
-PVC + Polyester is the "cheaper" one, and is widely used because it is easy to weld
Here's a few ones I did in France : http://www.box.net/shared/y5llazfftb
-ETFE is kind of translucent and elastic, which is why it is used to create pneumatic cushions instead of single layer membranes http://www.egodesign.ca/_files/articles ... llianz.jpg (didn't do this one though :mrgreen: )

Anyways, the idea is that it is a typical SSS material, but single surface.
Shadows that are cast on top should be seen from beneath.
I posted an example of a small canopy in the WIP section.
This is the best I can do right now...

Cheers,
By JDHill
Cool - would you mind sending me a small sample .3dm so I can make some material tests without first having to figure out how to duplicate your modeling technique?
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]