By kami
Hey all

I'm having a weird problem with a few rhino objects lately.
I'm working with an older file right now which has a few booled objects. Now, if I want to cut another piece out by using _BooleanDifference, the booling is successfull, but Rhino never finishes the "creating meshes" afterwards (in shaded view) and creates an error message after a while (windows is running out of memory). There objects aren't very complex (just a few boxes with embossed rectangles). If I recreate these objects from scratch, all works fine ...
Is there any way to repair them?

thanks for your help,
kami
By JDHill
When you say older file, do you mean one created with a different version of Rhino? Not that that should mean anything, but it's a question. First thing I would always do is to select the object, go to object properties, and click Details - what is reported there? Any mention of invalid entities? Next up would be changing the meshing parameters; apparently the boolean is working fine, but Rhino's choking when it tries to create the render mesh. Different mesh parameters would likely fix that. Before doing so though, I'd save a copy of the file, confirm that the bug is still present in that copy, and contact McNeel - they'll want to get their hands on this to analyze it and try to make sure it can't happen in the future.
By polynurb
sound like a problem with "non-manifold edges" or edges that have 0 length.
try exploding & rebuilding edges, then rejoin .. see if there are naked edges then..

but also see what your min mesh edge length is in the meshing properties, as smooth & slower set this to an insane value like 0.0001 so when you units are eg. centimeters but your modelling arch stuff it can get very slow upon mesh creation.
By kami
Sorry for the confusion with "older file". It's just something I modelled a few month ago.
I think I found the problem.Thanks for the hint. It has something to do with the meshing settings as I had a custom mesh set for that object (maximum edge length was set to 0.2). I copied the object from that older file (where I worked in meters) into my new one (which is in centimeters). That still did work fine for I think Rhino did not change the custom mesh as long as I did not change the object. But by booling the object it recalculated the mesh with the old settings and that maximum edge length of 0.2 m became 0.2 cm which was obviously too heavy. ;)
So not really a rhino bug but my mistake.
cheers, kami
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]