By JDHill
As noted in the Announcements section, version 1.8.2 of the Maxwell for Rhino plugin is now available...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maxwell for Rhino 4 version 1.8.2 Release Notes

The 1.8.2 release of the Maxwell Render for Rhino 4 plug-in sees movement toward greater simplicity, while also providing a more powerful workflow. Mainly, the changes made will be seen when working with the plug-in's Scene and Database Manager windows.

Scene Manager:

The Scene Manager has been rewritten from the ground up, in order to simplify working with the Maxwell Scene. Some highlights in this area include:

• The Scene Manager now uses all custom UI controls, instead of standard grids.
  • The number of tabs has been reduced by grouping some similar parameter groups together.
  • Collapsible sub-page panels are provided; their state is remembered between sessions, allowing you to reduce visual clutter by hiding parameters which you rarely use.
  • The date/time page has been simplified and now allows you to customize the format of the date, which is also correctly aware of your specific regional settings.
  • The Environment tab now only shows parameters related to the chosen Environment type.
  • The Output tab now presents a more logical grouping of parameters; more conveniently, file-output is now specified using a folder & scene name, rather than a set of absolute paths.
The plug-in now also provides a modeless (i.e. floating or dockable) Help Viewer window which is capable of showing help for any plug-in parameter. Help is shown by left or right-clicking on a parameter's label.

Database Manager:

Version 1.8.2 sees the removal of the previous version's “Materials Database”. This feature, while potentially powerful, has shown to produce confusion. Many times, people were using the plug-in's MXM Browser instead, defeating the Material Database's purpose entirely. To resolve this, the new plug-in removes the Materials Database page from the Database Manager and replaces it with the MXM Browser. With the removal of “database” Materials, more focus has been made on making plug-in Materials interoperate with MXM files in a more seamless manner.

When a Material is actively linked to an MXM file, its thumbnails are shown with a green border; when it is not linked, it is treated as local to the document where it is located. If a linked Material is opened on a machine where the MXM file it links to is not found, it is treated as being embedded; that is, the scene will still render as it did when last opened. The Database Manager still retains catalogs for individual BSDFs, Emitters, Textures, etc., making it easy to build new Materials based on existing components.

The MXM Browser itself has been made more powerful and convenient as well; it now actively monitors the selected folder for changes being made to MXM files. It also allows easy export of plug-in Materials as MXM files by accepting Materials via drag-and-drop from the Scene Manager's Materials page.

New Plug-in Manual:

As per several requests, the plug-in is now installed with a printable PDF-based manual, rather than the HTML-based manual which was previously used. The new manual includes a plug-in quick-start, as well as several basic tutorials.

Miscellaneous:

The 1.8.2 plug-in supports animation using Bongo and Rhino AnimationTools automatically. It also supports export of meshes which have been created by one of the various RDK-based meshing plug-ins. Unlike other RDK-aware plug-ins, the Maxwell plug-in will not fail to load due to any of the common RDK configuration problems (i.e. no “dependent DLL is out of date” messages).

In late-breaking news, version 1.8.2 has now also been (very minimally) tested with the new Rhino V5 x86 WIP release, and it looks to be working quite well even at this early stage. When attempting to use the plug-in with Rhino V5 x86, it may be necessary to manually install it – just use Rhino's File > Properties > Plug-Ins > Install and locate the plug-in where you specified it to be installed (usually this might be somewhere similar to C:\Program Files\Rhinoceros 4.0\Plug-ins\Maxwell\dll).
By Cadhorn
There's a lot to love here, but I'll start by saying that I'm really ecstatic to see F-stop and shutter right next to each other. I never could get used to them being separated by several fields, and I continually mixed them up. This is perfect!
By kami
works great! thanks so much JD
the changes seem to be all very useful!

hope I can get it running with rhino5 x64 somehow in the near future ... but it's not urgent.

cheers,
kami
By val_z
previous version worked well with v5 64bit (with solidworks plug-in installed). is there any trick to work this plug in with rhino v5 64-bit.
By JDHill
In order for that to work, the plugin versions (rhino & sw) have to match - so you just need to download the new 1.8.2 solidworks plugin and install that.
By val_z
JDHill wrote:In order for that to work, the plugin versions (rhino & sw) have to match - so you just need to download the new 1.8.2 solidworks plugin and install that.
thanks, now works fine....
By kami
JDHill wrote:In order for that to work, the plugin versions (rhino & sw) have to match - so you just need to download the new 1.8.2 solidworks plugin and install that.
works like a charm. thanks
By Fille
Thank you JD for the new plug-in! I haven't had time to test it yet, but it looks great! Thanks!

Philip
By NoahPhense
Hey JD.. long time ;)

Just the clicking and showing some detailed help is awesome.

And being a fellow programmer, WOW.. the speed up and work flow is
more than I could ask for. Before, the plugin was chunky at times.. and
now, it challenges my laptop. Meaning that when I want to do something,
click and there it is..

Thanks for the bad ass update. Wonder why I didn't get an email about
the new plug in?? Had to bump into it.

John
By JDHill
I can't say much about emails, but the plugin has a notifier too - and I haven't updated the current-version file it checks on my server yet. With things running pretty smooth already on the v5 wip, I want to wait for a quick minor update that adds an x64 installer. So let me know of any bugs you find and I'll fix them while I'm at it.

Thanks for noticing on the speed too...lots of detail work in there, since it has so many controls...something like 300 just in the material editor, so responding to things and showing other parts of the ui always needs some strategy, and that depends on figuring lots of not-exactly-specified quirks of the framework.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]