Hey guys,

I just got Rhino trees from Dosch Design.
The trees look accurate in rhino viewport and when rendered using
default rhino renderer...but looks messed up when rendered in maxwell.

Basically, in maxwell what shows up are the meshes of the rhino model and the tree textures are inaccurate, out of scale etc...how do i resolve this? Thanks
By JDHill
It would be hard to say without more detail. What format are the files from Dosch in - .OBJ, I assume? So, the UVs would be baked into the meshes? Also, are you using the version 1.7.31 plugin? If you send me (email is in forum profile) one of these trees with its related texture files, I can try taking a look here.
By nappy
Hey JDHill,

First off I want to thank you for all the Think! tutorials..helped me out a great deal. Anyhoo I am shooting u an email and i believe I do have the latest plugins.
I wouldn't recommend the Dosch trees. I bought them awhile back and had similar sorts of issues. I also got the Rhino version although Rhino isn't my primary modeler. It seems as if they were made in some other program and didn't transfer well into Rhino. They had a lot of bad objects that messed up the renderings. I ended up going back to Dosch who chose to offer me the same trees in a number of other formats. The 3ds Max one's seemed to work the best.

The leaves are large clip maps though which I didn't know beforehand. Sometimes that's ok but sometimes I have issues w/ the alpha maps not working quite right in Maxwell. I use them and they do work but they aren't what I'd hopped. Eventually I'll probably find something else but I haven't come across anything yet that I'm confident enough in to spend the money.

The materials all need some tweaking too to look decent in Maxwell. My trees still tend to look a bit cartoony but I'm not the best at material editing.

-Brodie
Hi all,

I ended up buying the Rhino versions of the Dosch trees anyway, and I must say I'm quite happy with them. Sure, te leaves are all clipmapped, but all I had to do was to create new Maxwell-materials for the leaves, and use the same textures and the weightmapping technique..

So, in other word, they don't work right out of the box, but can easily be made to work quite well.

Regards,

- Björn
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]