By JDHill
As noted in the Announcements section, version 1.7.31 of the Maxwell for Rhino plugin is now available...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maxwell for Rhino 4 version 1.7.31 Release Notes

The following topics outline changes and improvements made in the Maxwell for Rhino 4 plugin in the new 1.7.31 version.

adds
  • - automatic generation of physical lights based on Rhino Point, Spot, and Rectangle lights. Shape, color, and intensity are controlled using the normal Rhino light parameters, and light power is scaled according to the document unit. Hint: make sure you are shooting with a realistic camera setup when using this feature
    - ‘Use Custom Color Picker’ to Plugin Options. Some machines have shown issues with the custom color picker, apparently related to DirectX. If you experience a slow operation with the color picker, set this option to ‘No’ – the standard Windows color picker will be shown instead. The plugin will remember custom color presets regardless of which color picker is used
    - Database Manager’s Volume View window now shows whichever node is selected in the Materials page
    - ‘Use Document Path’ option to the Default Paths section in Plugin Options. If this is set to ‘Yes’, the plugin will prefer to write unspecified outputs next to the current .3dm location, if it is known
    - added several tutorials (Real Scale, Animation, Motion Blur, and HDRI), available at http://think.maxwellrender.com
changes
  • - Scene Path and Image Path are no longer populated with the default when a scene is exported with no paths set
    - the plugin is now slightly less aggressive about showing a particular Rhino texture-mapping in the viewport
    - the plugin will now accept the default (viewport) texture-mapping for textures which use Channel 0
    - if an imported MXM has textures but has no ‘current’ texture, one will be selected automatically (preferably a Reflectance 0 texture)
    - improved TAB behavior in the Material Editor window
    - start-up notification (in Rhino command-line) when ‘Real-time Viewport Materials’ are disabled
    - viewport materials are automatically refreshed when ‘Real-time Viewport Materials’ is switched from disabled to enabled
    - material picker in Object Properties > Material > Browse now remembers the previous size
    - animation export via AnimationTools may now be cancelled by holding CTRL+ALT+SHIFT
    - Real Scale texture-mapping now handles more types of object-modification, improving synchronization between the viewport and the render
fixes
  • - fixed an issue which prevented the ‘Export Blocks as Instances’ option from being enabled without manually editing a configuration file
    - fixed an issue with recall of date/time presets
    - the lambertian indicator in BSDF and SubSurface UI was not set correctly when loading an item
    - camera motion-blur would be enabled automatically when exporting an animation via AnimationTools
    - the ‘Auto-Focus to Objects’ command would produce bad values for subjects closer than the lens-length
    - there is an issue when running on Rhino SR4 which results in an inability to use drag-drop assignment of materials from the Scene and Database Managers. 1.7.31 has been changed to work around this – disabling the Camera Heads-Up Display temporarily should allow drag-drop to work again
    - possibly fixed an intermittent non-responsive Material Editor window condition
    - cached MXS meshes are now invalidated when the Real Scale Texture controls are used to adjust texture-mapping
    - fixed a possible failure to write the MXS file (i.e. ‘ExportScene returned False’) when an invalid Scene Path was specified. If possible, the specified directory is created
By greenlollipop
hello there,
i have done a brief search for threads outlining the automatic generation of physical lights based on rhino lights , but not found much info. where, if anywhere, am i able to find more detailed information on this subject?

thanks,
j.c.

disregard above - i jumped in and it was much easier than i thought. i had attempted previously and failed and think it was because my camera settings were incorrect. after playing with EV, ISO and shutter settings, the picture is quickly becoming clearer. sorry to bother!
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]