By robin of nottingham
just did a bench mark thing... loaded the scene n all that. Then thought I know I ll import one of my jewellery models into the scene to check out the lighting and background for rendering my other models. When I imported the jewellery in what I though t was actual scale as stl it was massive in this environment. I ve checked the import options but theres no scale option for stl just obj which was I think was 1:1. Is there a working in mm or meters option or something? because its maybe to the power of ten times larger. Also when I import jewellery into a blank studio screen I have to zoom right out as the jewellery seems massive it that as well. The information saying bbox will that be in mm? I assume that if things are x10 times larger then all my materials will be incorrect with regards to light passing through transparent objects which does seem to be the case.

can anyone shed any light on this?
By JDHill
Hi Robin,

Really, everything inside of Maxwell is based on a 1-meter scale - as far as I know, an STL file has no idea of any kind of scaling-unit, so basically, when you import one into Studio, 1 unit = 1 meter. This explains why your STL objects may come into Studio at the 'wrong' scale. You should be able to use the Edit > Scale Scene command in Studio to correct this so that your objects are the correct size.

When exporting an MXS using the plugin, things are automatically scaled for you based on the document's current drawing units.

Cheers,

JD
By robin of nottingham
Thats not great is it! Maybe it would be helpful to have mm or m after the bbox numbers. This could really explain why I ve struggled with the materials and how far light passes through things like stones and all that. I actaully find that having the x10 larger better with focus and light and all that but knowing now is helpfull as I was scaling my models by 10 in maxwell anyway....boy they were really large then. Does it say anywhere in the manual that this happens? maybe an import scale objects for stl would be good? i also use claytools to model my stls.

nice one,

r
By lebbeus
this may be a silly question, but if you're working in Rhino, why are you importing STL files into Studio? The Rhino plugin does an excellent job of sending the scene to .mxs files/MXCL

or is this thread actually about importing the STLs into Rhino?
By robin of nottingham
I work with another software called claytools that exports rather huge files 120 meg plus at times and so on.... rhino runs out of memory and closes when using files that big. Also I found that getting good focus difficult when exporting from rhino... maybe now i know the stls are x by 10 it could explain why theres more success with depth of field and focus.

thanks,

r
By lebbeus
sorry, thought claytools was running inside Rhino
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]