By hyltom
I agree that the imported mxm from the library will mostly use channel 0 (it's my case for my old material) but anyway with the new plugin we can't use this channel if we want to modify the mapping control without facing some automatic reset.

So yes i can live with this and manually change all the channel to 1 but i'm sure that sometime i will forget to update one channel and face some texture scale problem on my render.

"People like you who use advanced features"...am I so special? :wink: I just want to apply texture to my material and i believe i'm not the only one that use the Rhino mapping tools to set the scale and the projection...or maybe people uses another way that i don't know and don't face the channel problem.

Is there anyone else that met this problem? If yes what do you think?
By JDHill
Well, since I don't want to change the default behavior, and you still would rather have Channel 1 as default, I will see about putting a switch in the options for this.
By hyltom
Adding a switch in the option would be really helpful, but it's seems nobody care about this issue, so don't spend too much time on it, i can manage to use it as it's. If other users point this problem, so maybe at that time you could add the option. I don't want you to use your precious time just because one user (me :D ) is not comfortable with the new channel behavior. And even by adding a switch, i don't think it can modify the channel 0 of the material of the mxm library.
By JDHill
It shouldn't be too difficult, and I just got done updating the wish list thread - I add things for one user all the time. As to modifying MXM imports, I would consider it to be a destructive thing to overwrite what someone had saved, so they will remain at 0 if they were saved that way.

I'm not sure this is a complete solution though...

This seems to be an important issue for you: is this the case more because you want to use Rhino Render sometimes? I can see how that would be a problem, since Rhino will just use whatever happens to be in the viewport, but I can't really see how knowing what mapping the current texture uses can ever a problem when you're using Maxwell.

If that is the case, you should really use 'Disable real-time viewport Materials' when setting up renders for Rhino Render. Because, you can do as you say and change the Maxwell textures to Channel 1, but what if you then add another mapping? The plugin won't allow you to look at the #2 mapping when it updates the viewport - it will always want to show you the #1 mapping used by the current texture. So, even though you've done this 'switch to Channel 1' trick, you won't get the #2 mapping you meant to use with Rhino Render.

Is this closer to describing the situation you're dealing with?
By hyltom
I never do some rhino render :D .

If i disable real-time viewport material, then i can't see the texture, so i can't control visually the texture projection and size.

Actually, i'm thinking that we don't understand each other. I will try to be more clear.

With the previous plugin, i had no any problem with the texture control. I had my object on which i apply a material and then control the texture projection, the texture size and i never had to change the mapping channel. I was sure than after i set my mapping, it will never change in the preview viewport and in the rendering.

Now with the new plugin, if i use the same method than with the previous plugin, my texture can't stick to the projection or the size i have defined in the rhino texture mapping control. The texture can't stick after i reopen the file or if i switch between different texture of a same material (bump, roughness...). The only way to make it work like the previous plugin is to set the channel to 1.

Is that more clear...? i'm not so sure. :oops: :lol:
By JDHill
Yes, it is all helpful. I think I may have a way to make it work both ways at the same time.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]