By JDHill
I'll check it out and see what seems to make sense. I am going to do some work here anyway -- there is a 'UseViewportName' option on the plugin's Render command that I want to move to the output section to make it more convenient to use.
By bjorn.syse
Cool, and yes! While we're at it. My second wish.

A lot of times I set up a bunch of cameras to get different angles of a scene, and then want to export them to .mxs:es and batch render them over night. Before I do this, I've obviously launched numerous test renders using the autonaming function, and possible using this new autonaming functionality aswell :)

My wish it to introduce a second type of autonaming, based on the camera name. So perhaps, when I hit render, it adds the camera name as a suffix to the filenames, possibly in conjunction with the regular autonaming. These are just first thoughts.

Then after a few test renders, you would know end up with the following in you folder:

Floor lamp scene_Camera1.mxs
Floor lamp scene_Camera1_0001.mxs
Floor lamp scene_Camera1_0002.mxs
Floor lamp scene_Camera1_0003.mxs
Floor lamp scene_Camera2.mxs
Floor lamp scene_Camera2_0001.mxs
Floor lamp scene_TestCamera.mxs
Floor lamp scene_TestCamera_0001.mxs
Floor lamp scene_TestCamera_0002.mxs
Floor lamp scene_TestCamera_0003.mxs
Floor lamp scene_TestCamera_0004.mxs
Floor lamp scene_Perspective.mxs
Floor lamp scene_Perspective_0001.mxs

etc.

That would make it even easier to keep track of your process, and to spot the .mxs:er you're after.
By bjorn.syse
addition: I know that all the cameras are actually exported in the mxs. And perhaps I should use them this way. I'm not sure how though,. I'd have to write a script that traverses through the cameras and discards the Front, Top and Right views,. and then again, It would be hard to get an overview over which cameras are included in a certain scene without opening it in Studio or Maxwell Render.

Perhaps this could be a sub-option of the "Active camera only" option under Output/Export section. So whenever the user choose the Active camera only option, there could be an option like "Suffix file name with camera name" that appears and gets un-greyed.

Let me know your thoughts,.
By JDHill
I'm thinking of something along those lines, yes. We've gone from 3 plain raw mxs/mxi/image file paths, to a more convenient name/folder setup, and added auto-naming, and then added a useviewportname concept via a command...so there's some housekeeping to do here, and your above input is good for making sure that it helps make the plugin more effective.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]