By polynurb
Sure thing... here are the details:
dual monitor left 1280x1024 right 1600x1024
Rhino in fullscreen on the right side.
Object properties set to standard "object"

pic 1-4

two cubes , pink one has no material.. when i select it .. keyboard is fine
now selecting other purple cube with the simple 1 layer bsdf (no texture) .. keyboard is also still working..
now selecting pink cube again steals focus.. no typing possible.

..but thanks for the fast reply, auto select materials gets rid of it!

cheers,

polynurb
By JDHill
Thanks for the details. :) I'm guessing that the dual-screen might be causing different/more consistent behavior than I'm seeing here - I just have one screen. I'll keep an eye out for this though; like I said, I'm sure I've seen it happen too, I'm just not sure exactly when.
By polynurb
yeah.. the dual screen in rhino has given me trouble before... (no maxwell stuff..)

.. eg. does the command window always pops back from the 2nd screen if you switch menu/title/statusbar.. and smart track does not work properly if the command window is undocked.. and ST does not work at all in floating viewports... and windows get stuck at the screen transition even when ctrl is pressed... just the usual interface hick-ups... :?

..but until i figured out what was wrong witch smart track i reinstalled twice... it just didn't accept the crtl for point adding anymore else it worked fine...

..ok.. enough grumbling..(for now) ....just thought if you should ever run into these issue.. :wink:

:polynurb
By iker
I'm trying to find the repeatable pattern of material editor's unresponsive because it happens here from time to time..... without success at all :cry:
(the problem here is it doesn't let me touch any paramenters and it doesn't response when I try to close it, I just can close it by clicking Maxwell>Plugin windows>Material Editor from the menu, but when this happens I need to reboot rhino to make it work again)

Does someone has get any advance on this subject?
By JDHill
Thanks Iker...I also still have not found a way to force this to happen. That makes it difficult (nearly impossible) to find the cause. Here, I do not need to restart Rhino - selecting between a few materials in the database or the materials browser will wake it back up again.
Since using 1.7 I've noticed a strange new bug happening that is driving me insane. After I've been adjusting something in the material editor my esc key, enter key, and right mouse button all stop responding. The only fix is restarting rhino. This doesnt happen every time, and takes about 5-10 minutes before it starts. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?
By JDHill
No, I haven't heard of this before. Can you please let me know:

- what OS are you using?
- what Rhino SR are you using?
- are you using any extra devices besides a regular mouse?
- what other plugins might be running?
By kami
while editing materials:
when i switch off a texture (remove the tick in the material editor), everything works fine (the texture isn't rendered anymore). but if i restart rhino, the texture is switched on again ... is this possible? or did i do something wrong?

cheers,
kami
By JDHill
Thanks Kami, I see it too.
By NoahPhense
After using the Material Editor, and "updating/rendering" a material within
the Material Editor. I can then close out of Rhino and Maxwell stays loaded
in the Tray. Have to right click "Quit" ..

- np
By JDHill
I'm not seeing this here - is it repeatable for you? Is the preview in the middle of rendering when you close Rhino? Here it closes out fine either way, but let me know what you're seeing there.
By NoahPhense
JDHill wrote:I'm not seeing this here - is it repeatable for you? Is the preview in the middle of rendering when you close Rhino? Here it closes out fine either way, but let me know what you're seeing there.
I pride myself on having an overly optimized system, with ZERO flaws. :)
No over installs. No updated installs, only fresh installs. My registry is
cleaned on a regular basis. The system is Ghosted once, sometimes twice
per week. :lol: It needs to be super clean and free of junk so I can take
over the world with it soon. (evil laugh)

But here is a video if this helps. Basically, I just open Rhino, launch the
Mat. Editor, start a render/update of the material. Then exit Rhino.

From a programming standpoint, either the Material Editor doesn't care
what the Exit Code is of Rhino or it could be an Operating System setting
that I have activated. I know which one it is specifically.

I'll bring it up if you are still not seeing what I'm seeing.

- np
Last edited by NoahPhense on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JDHill
Ah, I think that helps. Try this...rather than testing with a new material, select one which was already in your database at startup. There seems to be something about a new material...
By NoahPhense
JDHill wrote:Ah, I think that helps. Try this...rather than testing with a new material, select one which was already in your database at startup. There seems to be something about a new material...
Ok, tried an existing material. Here's the video. Appears the same. Maybe
your processor is finishing the SL before you hit close on Rhino. :)

This is not a bug that really affects any productivity. Nor should someone
ever really encounter it. But for example if I don't Quit the mxcl in the
tray, then I open Rhino again, and do the same thing again, it'll create
a second instance of mxcl running in the tray. It's not halting anything, or
dropping exe's, or giving errors. Just down there rendering, chewing on
my processor. lol

I do notice too, that after exiting Rhino, and I let the mxcl continue to render,
that it will keep on truckin.. past the value "8" listed in the Material Editor.
Stopped it when it got to "11", was getting bored. ;)

- np
By JDHill
Thanks, but if you drag something from the MXM Browser, you're still creating a brand new material - I would like to know if it behaves the same when you select a pre-existing material from the database manager. Also, if you let this orphaned mxcl.exe continue rendering, it should close down when it reaches (maybe when it completes?) SL11 - technically, when it reaches the SL defined in the material (8 in this case) + 3.
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]