Hi all,
today I just installed the new 1.8.3 build for Rhino V5/64 and it installs properly bu the scene forgots the materials setup. Nothing appear to be assigned to the models in the scene.

Anyone know if this is a bug ? Rhino's or Maxwell's fault ?

Paolo
By JDHill
Hi Paolo,

It should work fine, so I have a few questions:

1. do you mean that the viewport doesn't look right, or that when you render, there are no materials?
2. Are the materials present in tje Scene Manager > Materials tab?
3. which version (of Rhino & the plugin) was the scene last saved with?

Would it be possible for you to send me a file which shows this behavior?

Thanks,

JD
By pavel59
Hi,
I mean that I updated (yesterday) to the latest Rhino V5 Beta, and this morning I downloaded and installed the MaxwellRender for Rhino plugin 1.8.3. I started Rhino V5 Beta and loaded a file previously saved in Rhino V4 (and regularly rendered in it).
It doesn't appear having any material applied neither materials are present in the Scene Manager.

The file I was using is very big, however I'll try setting a new file in Rhino V4 then opening in Rhino V5 and if the problem persists then I'll surely send you a copy.

BTW: Rhino V4 is installed in Program Files (x86) folder.
Rhino V5 Beta is installed in Program Files folder
Maxwell Render is installed in Program Files folder
The MXM database is installed in the same Program FIles folder

Thanks

Paolo
By ricardo
I see this with rendered shadows. I even managed to get it running on the first WIP with a gf6800 256mb softmodded to a qd1400. Disabling per pixel lightning would fix it.

From wip 2 it stopped working. Now I have a gf 9600GT 512mb and it still does not work.

I get environment maps though.

Ricardo
I had a maybe similar problem.
I opened an old rhino file with rhino5(64) and in the "rendered view" it did not show any materials. but they were in the scene manager and they rendered out fine. Since I moved the file around a bit. It showed the "bad textures" warning in rhino, but must have somehow found its textures while rendering.
In rhino4, it does show the same bad texture-warning, but despite that warning, it still looks ok in the "rendered view"
I'm gonna have to check again with a file that has "working" textures on the weekend and I'll report back.
I still can't get shadows and textures, but I found out that enabling 'per pixel lighting' in the rendered (no shadow) mode will make the textures go away.

The same setting is needed for bump maps to show in v5
ricardo wrote:I still can't get shadows and textures, but I found out that enabling 'per pixel lighting' in the rendered (no shadow) mode will make the textures go away.

The same setting is needed for bump maps to show in v5
Same here.
Currently I can not see any texture maps of mxm in the viewport with per pixel lighting.
They are clearly assigned and also get slightly visible when the object gets selected (shade highlighted objects is set).
Exactly the same texture loaded as Rhino basic material appears in the Rhino viewport with per pixel lighting activated.

cheers, Holger

xp32 quadro 1600m, latest driver
Same here Holger; apparently V5 is handling things differently than V4 as regards the Rhino display materials generated by the plugin, at least in the case that rendered shadows are enabled. I can't consider this to be a plugin problem - a plugin should not be so intimate with Rhino that it would want to be concerned about details such as what version it is running on, or which display mode you have chosen; things of this nature should be handled generically by the display engine.
i have the same issue (Rhino x64).. regarding the material textures not showing up with any shadows enabled, colors do show. otherwise importing v4 files is working fine for me.

other issues concerning the opengl ( it is the first beta!!):

-shade selected hardly ever works for me

- _SetObjectDisplayMode is also very unreliable, often not working at all.

i think Rhino's 64bit display is still a bit buggy for now.. at least it seams not to crash much :)
Jeff syas he fixed it for the next wip.

Now it's timo to think of sending the bunp/displacemente texture into the bump chanel of the basic rhino material - so that we have real time bump :wink:
JDHill wrote:Same here Holger; apparently V5 is handling things differently than V4 as regards the Rhino display materials generated by the plugin, at least in the case that rendered shadows are enabled. I can't consider this to be a plugin problem - a plugin should not be so intimate with Rhino that it would want to be concerned about details such as what version it is running on, or which display mode you have chosen; things of this nature should be handled generically by the display engine.
Thanks Jeremy - and good to know that this is now fixed.

Holger

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]