By hatts
Hi,

I discovered the PS plugin far too late; when paired with multilight it is a fantastic tool!

But I'm a bit unclear on one thing. I know each layer is supposed to be set to Linear Dodge (Add), but when I do that with my layers, my image becomes extremely overexposed. Setting each layer to 50% seems to zero it out, but then that makes the Background or Background Mask layer an absolute necessity to avoid a translucent image.

Is what I've described normal behavior, or should I be adjusting my workflow or settings?
By Brany
What bitdepth are you using to load the MXI? Linear dodge is good for 32 bits, but not for 16 or 8. In that case a user in the forum recommended "screen" instead of "linear dodge" months ago.
By bograt
Not to be contrary but, I generally render lights separately and always work in 32bit, as once mentioned here I think 'light is purely additive' so separate layers at 32 bit in linear dodge mode is more or less the same as multilight...
Personally I do this for flexibility as I see no apparent advantage to multilight other than convenience... I'm not missing anything am I?
Also, Hatts, I cannot confirm this applies for multilight but you should always add an exposure adjustment layer to 32bit linear dodge layers in photoshop, this way you control only the 'power' of the layer, rather than its opacity. to keeps the math simple.
make sure you click the little arrow at the bottom of the adjustment properties box in photoshop to apply the adjustment to only the layer below
By hatts
Yeah I have the MW action, as well as some of my own; workflow is sorted now, thanks.

@bograt: You raise some good points. Adding exposure layers in PS allows me to go above 100% brightness of a light source, which is not possible using opacity controls; nice one.
By Delineator
bograt wrote:Not to be contrary but, I generally render lights separately and always work in 32bit, as once mentioned here I think 'light is purely additive' so separate layers at 32 bit in linear dodge mode is more or less the same as multilight...
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but working in 32bit mode has extreme limitations (such as using the magic wand for material ID color selections (another great Maxwell feature)). I'm no expert, but I remember massive problems going through the whole print production process with a 32bit image.

In the end, I do macro light changes in Maxwell Render (after it has rendered), and then do micro changes in PShop via 16bit mode.
By dariolanza
Hi,

Yes, although Photoshop has limited some of its features in 32Bits as you are commenting, it is true that for accurate light mixing you have to work in 32Bits.

32Bits, having a higher dynamic range, allows you to re-exposure the image without cropping information.

And yes, an Exposure adjustment layer is the way to increase-reduce the intensity of any light in Photoshop.

A mixed MultiLight + Photoshop approach like the one you are describing could be also handy if it fits better for you.

Greetings

Dario Lanza
By polynurb
Delineator wrote: I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but working in 32bit mode has extreme limitations (such as using the magic wand for material ID color selections
what you can do is open mat&object as 16 bit (or just copy the layers into a new 16 bit document)

then when you need a selection from a mask, simply select as you wish, and add it as a Alpha channel, rename it so you know what the mask holds.(you can also save selection, but the alpha way is a bit faster)

then go back to 32bit document, and go >load selection, choose the right 16 bit document, load the alpha channel(which should already be renamed).

you won't see what you are loading so renaming the alphas makes sense. not as fast as in the document itself, but i find it decently fast and your main file won't be too cluttered.

-daniel
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]