By nirusu
modo -> save as maxwell mxi -> crashes modo. every time.

Both the new 3.2400 early build and the previous (still official) version do this on macOS El Capitan in modo 10.1
By nirusu
hi, in the newest version of the modo plugin I can confirm that SAVE AS... MXS, now works.

HOWEVER... :-) Export Selected Layers as mxs does not work.

Item List -> select a mesh layer -> right click -> Export selected layers -> pick maxwell mxs -> save -> returns a error saying the file was not found?

Cheers,
Nils
By nirusu
Hi, yeah that's ok, I just wanted to let you know this is one of those modo things that comes in handy workflow wise...

Also, the AssetReference Extension Object in Studio let's me reference a modo .lxo file but it's messed up:

- All geometry shows up at origin 0,0 (have to freeze them to have them show up at their correct positions)
- Doesn't seem to do modo instances (have to convert them to meshes and freeze them)
- materials not working anymore
By Marton Day8
I don't know anything about the handling of lxo files via AssetReference, but I can imagine it is not the best way to use modo props.
Better to export the modo scene to mxs and use it as reference (but I guess this is how you do it normally...)

Márton
By paulo
i save every object as an obj, i even put some in the library of maxwell so if i'm doing a project, i can quickly reload them.

nice to see a fellow modo user using maxwell

Cheers
Paul
By nirusu
Ah yeah, I usually use mxs files referenced in Studio.
For some reason I prefer setting up the final shot in Studio instead of Modo or any other app. Guess I like the workflow.

Oh, I was just testing what I found in the documentation:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mx ... +Reference

I guess that is a Studio issue then, not a modo plugin issue :-)

Hey Paul! :-)
I'll give obj another try, can't remember why I stopped using that...

Cheers,
Nils
By paulo
i'm the same way, i prefer studio for the final render , i think its because i can easily surf the materials to try various look

although there is some fabulous preset package now for modo

https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/m ... interiors/

we need Mihai to make us some great bundles like this
nirusu wrote:Ah yeah, I usually use mxs files referenced in Studio.
For some reason I prefer setting up the final shot in Studio instead of Modo or any other app. Guess I like the workflow.

Oh, I was just testing what I found in the documentation:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mx ... +Reference

I guess that is a Studio issue then, not a modo plugin issue :-)

Hey Paul! :-)
I'll give obj another try, can't remember why I stopped using that...

Cheers,
Nils
By nirusu
Heya, just tried modo -> obj -> studio again :-) On importing the obj file in Studio it doesn't load the materials....
And all mesh names have been renamed to 'default' with a number.

I'll stick to exporting to mxs :-) cause right now I edit materials either in modo or cinema 4d.
Still don't quite understand the mapping in Studio...

Cheers,
Nils
By nirusu
pfff, turns out I'm a real modo noob when it comes to texturing...

I have to better understand the texture locator stuff before trying exporting to obj maybe then it works better :-)
By paulo
you need to build your own materials for the obj meshes

studio has a nice wizard to make glass, fast glass, metal, liquid etc and you can use the online maxwell material library to use, most of them are wrong for today's standard but some are good enough for quick projets.

and yes i agree uv and materials are easier in modo specially 10, with material preset packs, pbr, unreal and unity export support, substance designer/painter plugins. it is a lot easier to make textures with uv's in modo for meshes now

haven't use c4d in a while i would be lost :)

i just saw your images, the camera and kitchen, great start.

nirusu wrote:pfff, turns out I'm a real modo noob when it comes to texturing...

I have to better understand the texture locator stuff before trying exporting to obj maybe then it works better :-)
By nirusu
Thank you! I'm trying to get back into it after not doing any 3D for a few years (life got in the way :-) )
I did experiment quite a lot though years ago... was even a maxwell alpha tester back in 2005 and can
still find my messages here in the forum from back then (under different name, lost password )

Yes, I have more experience with C4D as I took a 6 months course on that. But I've always had a crush on modo :-)
Still have The Official Luxology modo Guide from when it was 201/202 :-)

So I'm focussing on getting to grips with modo for now...
Wish me luck! ;-)
By paulo
same here ... so many things to learn and no time , just when you think you got it, they come out with new updates to software so back to learning it is

modo is fun to use and a great community to help out when you're stuck on something :)

best of luck i just followed you on twitter so we can keep in touch and i'll try to help you out if i can
nirusu wrote:Thank you! I'm trying to get back into it after not doing any 3D for a few years (life got in the way :-) )
I did experiment quite a lot though years ago... was even a maxwell alpha tester back in 2005 and can
still find my messages here in the forum from back then (under different name, lost password )

Yes, I have more experience with C4D as I took a 6 months course on that. But I've always had a crush on modo :-)
Still have The Official Luxology modo Guide from when it was 201/202 :-)

So I'm focussing on getting to grips with modo for now...
Wish me luck! ;-)
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]