By b-kandor
Hi,

If I apply a material in the plugin that has an emitter layer I get this error: Is there a workaround? The material is applied to one polygon that is part of an item with other materials applied.

By Marton Day8
It is a Maxwell core limitation. The workaround it to separate the emitter part of the mesh. I know it is not super good workaround but this is what we have now. (Hopefully it will be improved on the core side.)

Márton
By b-kandor
Ok, great - thanks.

Another question, I'm dragging mxm files into the shader tree, then change type to mxm. However, the mxm name is lost in this process and in studio later I see a material list such as:

Maxwell MXM(10)
Maxwell MXM(11)
Maxwell MXM(12)
Maxwell MXM(13)

I'd like to be able to preserve the mxm names. Am I doing it wrong?
By Marton Day8
In case you set the mxm file path on the properties panel of the mxm file, the plugin automatically renames the item according to the original mxm, but it seems it doesn't happen when you drag and drop.

I will check it and set auto-renaming if possible.

Edit: it seems the plugin tries renames the item, but modo doesn't allow renaming at drag and drop time. So it is not easy to solve.....

Márton
By b-kandor
Hi Márton,

Another question in the same line.

If I have some modo assets, if I just save them to mxs and let the plugin convert the materials I receive errors about missing textures etc.

So, for example, a material had a bump map, the plugin saves the texture, but it's not used in the mxm in studio.
In another example studio is requesting a noise weight map that the plugin never created, but I don't believe was needed.

I can send a sample to you?
By b-kandor
Hi Márton,

A little more info, it turns out the missing textures are procedurals in the modo shader tree, ie. noise and gradiant layers. It appears the plugin set's the weight map as active, but no texture is created to fill the slot.
By Q2
Hi. I am having the same problem:

Engine ERROR: object ... is not an emitter but it has triangles with emitter material

I understand that is a Maxwell problem but how do I "separate the emitter part of the mesh"?

Thanks!

Q!
By Marton Day8
I have already started to implement an automatic separation mechanism into the plugin, but it become so complicated and really hard to manage, so I have stopped that direction.

Currently you have to freeze out the geometry cut and past the emitter part into a new mesh.

Hopefully it will be solved on the engine level at some point.....

Márton
By Q2
Currently you have to freeze out the geometry cut and past the emitter part into a new mesh.
Well, sadly that did NOT work. I am still not getting Maxwell to render the scene, keeps throwing the above mentioned message! What else can I do?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Q!
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]