By gadzooks
Ok marton you had to know someone was going to ask, might as well be me. :) Not sure if you have even seen verrsion 3 but was wondering do you think most of the features will be avaliable to modo?
if you cant comment i understand, just eager to hear!n
By Marton Day8
I can not say anything very exact now, but yes I am working on it, and I try to implement the new features too:)
By Marton Day8
It will support 701 and 601 64bit,
+
probably 501 64bit too (but some functions will be limited)

Márton
By talos72
I am looking through the docs....does anyone know if the new Modo plugin support hair/fur?

Thanks
By Marton Day8
Sorry, no fur/hair....

From time to time I check the possibility of reading hair data from the modo SDK, but as far as I know it is still not possible.

Márton
By talos72
Is it possible to just bake the hair geometry out of Modo and render in Maxwell? I am really interested in doing stills...not animation, so dynamics do not matter to me.
By Marton Day8
Under modo 701 you can bake out the fur fibers into geometry with the modo menu Geometry > Bake Geometry Cache command.

Márton
By photomg1
Hi Marton,
I can bake the fur fibres using the geometry bake , which can be done quite quickly but am I right in thinking they are of no use in maxwell as its just edges/curves not polygons ? brought the mesh into maxwell but could do nothing with it.

Now if on the newly created mesh with all the edges i select render curves and render curve as polygons and then bake a second time I will get geometry . Even on a simple sphere I ran out of ram (16gb) whilst this type of bake is happening. I presume the double geometry bake with the options I have mentioned is what you are suggesting as a method to get hair into maxwell?

Can nothing be done with just the original baked curves , similar to how the other packages created hair curves are handled in maxwell?
By Marton Day8
Try this (you need modo 701):

- create a sphere
- from the preset browser drag and drop "Fur Grass 01" or other
- Run menu Geometry > Bake Geometry Catch (with fur checkBox on)

After this as a result I have fur polygons here in modo.

Can you reproduce this?

Márton
By photomg1
Hi Marton,
yes and it works ! now I need to work out why it didn't on what I was doing before.

all I did was create a sphere assign a material tag add a fur material at default settings then bake that it just gives me thin curves on the first bake . Try it ! (I have to use 701 sp2 to do this as its instacrash with sp3) .There is obviously something different about how that fur grass is set up compared to a default fur material.
By photomg1
The difference between the two is the grass uses strips and a default fur is cylinders. So the bake on cylinders gives you curves which I presume is to save ram (which makes sense). As you can then render those curves as cylinders in modo at render time.

I suppose I was hoping maxwell could use those curves to do a similar thing as its similar to the maxwell grass extension in that respect?

Anyway many thanks for sharing how we can get some form of hair into maxwell from modo . Hope the future brings full support as strips are only useful for a select number of items. Although I'm still chuffed that this at least works :D
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]