By boilerhead
any news about the 501 - MR plug since december 2010 ( i am also look forward to a new update of Lightwave 10 plug in )

Hey - I was just about to purchase the Upgrade to Modo and then realised there was not a Maxwell Plugin for 501 yet.

Do you have any good suggested work arounds while we wait for a plugin - are you exporting to obj and then working in Maxwell Studio or something like that? How do you get cameras across?

Or do we just have to wait? Very frustrating when I'd just set aside the cash for 501.
Thanks fv - is the LXO file format backwards compatible? I'm guessing you can't use the Pixar Sub D's in the file? Are there other features you can't use?

Do you have to do anything special to have both versions on at the same time or do you just install 501 without uninstalling 401

I'm on OS X, snow leopard.
By fv
Hey mahoosive, I'm on snowleopard too.

I renamed the 401 version Modo401 and copied the content and cfg files to a
separate HD as a precaution so that they could not be overwritten. Then installed 501 as Modo501.
Then I checked the 401 folder to see if everything was there..
I can use both versions now.

If you just install 501 it will overwrite everything in the 401 folder.
Have a look at: http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/t ... ow=maxwell

If you load a 501 file in 401 you'll get an errormessage that strange things may happen.
Some files may open. Others not. Probably as a result of features that are specific 501 version features.

Any way, for me it is a workaround as long as I cannot use the 501 plugin.
Hope this helps you!

Good luck!
Dennis
For what it's worth I am using the existing plugin with 501 without any major problems (you have to hack the plugin file to say 501 rather than 401 for it to work, the process is documented somewhere). I do always take the Modo files into Studio for final tweaking though, but FIRE works straight from Modo if desired.
richardyot wrote:For what it's worth I am using the existing plugin with 501 without any major problems (you have to hack the plugin file to say 501 rather than 401 for it to work, the process is documented somewhere). I do always take the Modo files into Studio for final tweaking though, but FIRE works straight from Modo if desired.
even if working, this hack is not supported by NL and in any case will NOT work for the mac cocoa version, in any case.
here the link for the interested: http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/t ... x?id=52119

cheers

markus
Come on NL - this really is becoming annoying. Luxology have stated that they have an approximate 18month development cycle between versions. Version 501 has now been around for 4 months which means we have seen 25% of the development cycle already. If you can't get out a plugin for Modo within a sensible timeframe of the new version, I will simply stop using Maxwell and not upgrade my software.

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]