By TRGStudios
I keep getting render failures because of this "UVW channels" problem. It even happened on the sample scene that comes with Maxwell. Makes it difficult to follow the video tutorial when I can't render anything.
By Brett Morgan
I just had the same error, very frustrating, I just changed the UV sets from locked to something else in the object parameters.I also had an object that I exported with the plugin, assigned a material to it and it displayed as changed but still had the material(std modo material) and rendered as the same.Might be a bug.
By Marton Day8
If you use mxm replacement material(s) with texture maps, the texture map needs channel ID in Maxwell (channel ID identifies the UV layer for the texture map). Usually Maxwell materials use channel ID 0 or 1.
In modo you don't have channel IDs, but you have named uv maps (for example: "Texture").
With the default settings the plug-in automatically assigns channel ID numbers to the named uv maps. This automatic numbering should work well with the automatically converted modo materials, but the automatic conversion can't decide which uv map you would like to assign to the replacement material texture map, so you have to set it manually.

For example:
You have a replacement mxm file with channel ID 1. And you have a mesh item with uv map "Texture". Because you have only one uv map, it will get channel ID 0 (the automatic numbering starts from 0). The mesh uv map will be exported with channel ID 0, so when Maxwell Render starts it looks into the mxm material -> according to the material settings it should search for channel ID 1, but the Mesh only have channel ID 0, so it will stop with an error.

What you can do in this situation:
In modo if you want to change uv map or uv projection settings for an image map, you can do it if you tweak the properties of the texture locator item. If you want to change how the plug-in handles the "modo texture map -> Maxwell channel ID number" assignment, you also have to change the Properties + parameters of the texture locator items.
As an example: If you have a texture locator item, with "Projection type" -> "UV Map", and the selected UV Map is "Texture", first you have to select the texture locator item, click on the "Texture Locator +" button, change "Channel ID assignment" to "Manual", and change "Channel ID" to 1. After this "Texture" will be exported with Channel ID 1. It is also possible to set the Channel IDs of all the modo UV maps to 1 (or to any number). -> Open the "Properties + GLOBAL values" window, click on the "Texture Locator" button, change "Channel ID assignment" to "Manual", and change "Channel ID" to 1.

I hope it helps!

Brett: if you found BUG somewhere, please send me the scene for further investigation.

Thanks,

Márton
By fv
Hello Márton,

I used your suggestion to reassign channel ID's to Modo Uv's but I still get the same
error : UVW channels for object "x" not enough for material "(M)y".
My biggest problem is that I don't understand what causes this error to appear.
Is Maxwell assigning the UV (I made in Modo) to another mesh?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks anyway

Dennis
By Marton Day8
Hello Dennis,

I am getting closer to release an update, but actually I have stepped into this UV problem too. It seems because of some reasons the internal channel id assignment doesn't give correct result. I am working on it and also on some uv improvements....

Do you use channel number 1 or channel number 0? (0 should work without problem, bigger numbers can cause the problem according to my tests.)

Márton
By fv
Hi Márton,

Glad to hear you're working on the issue. Take your time to
make a proper update. I used channel 0, 1, 2 and 3 with the manual ID setting
in the maxwell plugin for all four different materials/UV's I exported.
The problem arose both with global settings and with manual settings.
In another modo file I just added one (image) texture to a modo generated UV.
The file renders perfectly without the texture but stops with the image applied (in Modo).

The error message puzzles me because it says the UV on a certain mesh is not enough for the material
that is assigned to it. I've re-UV-ed the mesh(es) several times in Modo, making sure to include
all the polygons but without any positive result.
Deleting the projector in Maxwell and assigning a new UV set won't help either.

The biggest issue for us actually is that the renderer stops or doesn't start.
I'd be happier if it continued with false materials or UV's and a warning in the console.
That way I could see where the problem is and eventually postprocess a not so perfect image in Photoshop and
satisfy our customers. Now it frustrates to an excruciating extend.

Well thanks anyway for your help.

Dennis
By boilerhead
Today i updated to MR v2, and i am absolutly frustrated because it is the same old trouble since Maxwell Release
Candidate 1.0 years ago, if you try to render a large scene with many objects you can work on these "not enought material /UV " problem
till you lost all your creativity .

after all these years ,its all the same UV material problem, the same old shit.....
may i come back 2015, and maybe Nl will solved this bug, but in the future i am not pay for another upgrade with the same errors anymore. :oops:
By Marton Day8
Hello,

Sorry for your trouble! Yes, if you use mxm replacement material for your modo scene, you have to set the UV numbering manually (to match you mxm material channel IDs), the plug-in can't guess how you want to combine your Maxwell material textures with the object UVs. If it is not because of mxm replacement materials, than it is a bug.
Could you please write down your problem in details?

Thanks!

Márton
By boilerhead
thanks for the quick answer "marton day8",sorry for my uncreative posting, (next time i will cool down before i post ,because this kind of message helps nobody even other users if they still searching for help here.!

ok,here is my question:

i simple load the 401 scene in dir: Luxology/ content /samples / ArchViz/Wyknohouse_01.lxo
and started render from the maxwell plug in,sometimes i get the error message:

"there were potential problems during export"
no render starts and also i can´.t export the scene to Maxwell studio
or
the render starts but i get a lots of error message "not enough material...

another problem:
Why the plug in always ask for the" Maxwell Programm file" ?, after i navigate to
Mac OS X HD / application/maxwell2/maxwell.app/contents/Mac OS / Maxwell / ?
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]