By krotala
The way the plug-in handles material conversion seems ultra complicated for me to understand and the manual complicates things even further.
The only way I can achieve what I want is to export the whole scene into studio and then everything is easy.
Here's what I want to do:
I create a material in Modo with a single image map and assign it to my object via a single uv projection. The texture is applied correctly on my Modo viewport.
How do I view/convert/edit that same material into the Maxwell material editor with all the maps and settings intact? (kinda the same way the converted material appears in studio).
My objective is to for the map in the maxwell material editor to match the map in my viewport just like in studio.

Please help and excuse my thickness concerning this matter.
Hi,

Sorry I have missed your post until now....

It is still an issue to make these material things easier, unfortunately with the current modo version it is not easy to implement it much better.
But I am working on it....

Here is what you can do with the current version:
You can export your scene with the "Export Materials" check box turned on. (you can find it in this way: Properties+ Global values window > Render > Exporter Settings > Export Materials)
If this check box is on, the exporter exports the automatically converted materials into the scene material directory (this directory can be found in the same folder where your exported (mxs) scene is placed).
In this folder you can see the scene materials (same materials you have in studio). The material file names has an "exp_" prefix. You can tweak these files, save them, and if you remove the "exp_" prefix from the file names, and you turn on the "Import Materials" check box (it is at the same place where you have the "Export Materials" check box), the exporter will use your tweaked materials during the export. It is not a 100% solution for your requirements, but can be better than do the tweaking in studio.

You can also export the automatically created materials from Maxwell Studio, in modo you can set them as replacement materials, and you can do the tweaking.

None of these methods guarantee that your modo scene material textures will be the same what you have in your maxwell materials (because if you change your image in modo, the plug-in can't automatically overwrite in your Maxwell material file, or if you change your MAxwell material it won't overwrite your modo settings.)

Márton
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]