By jonny@joma
Dear All and sundry,

I have created a simple 1 x 1m plane in sketchup, grouped it and then applied grass using maxwell grass.

When I start up maxwell fire i get a brief 'This scene has errors' message before the render continues...but with no grass.

checking the ruby console i noticed the following message..

"MX: Fire error => [Extension MaxwellGrass] Couldn't create Mesh Modifier Extension :"Group<6773> [0.0.0]", skipping... "

Anyone any clues?

Im pretty new to Maxwell so if any replies could be jargon free that would be splendid. Thanks.

Jonny
By JDHill
I can't speculate much on why the grass extension might fail, so if you could please send me a copy of this model (in SKP format, email jeremy at nextlimit dotcom), hopefully it will exhibit the same behavior here.
By JDHill
Thanks, I found the problem. Due to issues with SketchUp's handling of RBZ files on OSX, we had to quickly switch back to using OS- and SketchUp-specific installers; the actual grass libraries were excluded from the OSX installers for SketchUp 8 and 2013, and this is what is causing the problem.

As a workaround, you can go to this page, download the package for SketchUp 6 & 7, unzip it, and copy the grass binaries into your plugin installation. Specifically, the steps would be:
  • 1. Download the plugin for SketchUp 6 & 7 from this page.
    2. Unzip the download on your desktop.
    3. Inside, navigate to plugin/maxwell/ext.
    4. Select all of the .mxx files and right-click > Copy.
    5. Navigate to your SketchUp Plugins folder.
This step depends on whether you're using SketchUp 8 or 2013. If SketchUp 8, you will find the corresponding plugin folder at /Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/plugins. If SketchUp 2013, it will be in your user folder, at ~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2013/SketchUp/Plugins. By default, OSX 10.7+ hides the ~/Library folder -- to open it, you can click Finder > Go > Go to Folder, and enter ~/Library.
  • 6. Inside the SketchUp Plugins folder, navigate to the maxwell/ext subfolder and paste the .mxx files you copied in step 4.
Grass should now work fine in the plugin, just let me know if you have any questions.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]