By fv
Components do not face the camera in a render. I remember it worked ok before.
Hope this can fixed since we use a lot of components that automatically face the camera.

I also noticed that Fire can be a lot slower with big files compared to a testrender in Maxwell. Its not the render in Fire itself but the process before it starts to show anything in Fire. I would say that my files about 30 Mb large would take about 10 min. to start a draft render in Fire compared to under a minute when just use the render to Maxwell button in production quality before the first image appears. Because of that I am no longer using Fire with larger files. When I send the export to Studio things are very fast again also in Fire.
Francois
Last edited by fv on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JDHill
I don't quite understand the question. Whether a component faces the camera is only SketchUp's business, the plugin is not even aware of it. If you mean that such components interactively remained facing the camera after exported to MXS, then the answer would be that this has never been the case -- the orientation of geometry is static in an MXS, and in Maxwell Fire; you would need to re-export to update the geometry if you'd rotated it in SketchUp by moving the camera. I checked the provided SKP, and it behaves as expected.

Please let me know if this addresses your question, or if you are referring to something else. Regarding your second question, this should be dependent upon how many threads you've set in Maxwell Fire Settings, so please try checking that and let me know if increasing the number of threads (or setting threads=0 for auto-detect) helps.
By fv
Ok, tx JD
I understand that in Fire you need to reexport to get the geometry facing the camera again.
But when I render in Maxwell the geometry is no longer facing the camera. But I have to admit that it happens in this project with this shrub. So maybe it is something else. A project I did last week 2D people aways faced the camera in the Maxwell renders. I will let you know if I have more issues with it.
Good to know what happens at export though, tx for the answer.

I will set the threads a bit higher to see what happens.
By dvsone1440
When you export to Maxwell it will freeze that geometry in place. So... if when you exported the model they were facing you correctly they should be facing you in the MXS scene as well. That said if you then go and try to render a different scene in Maxwell the geometry will still be facing the old scene. In other words you need to export a new MXS for every scene if you are using components with the face camera option in sketchup so that each one will be frozen in time facing the camera.
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]