By gtalarico
I am trying to use MXS instances to add trees to my sketchup model, both fire and Render get stock in voxelizing...
Is this and engine problem?

It renders fine with 3-4 trees, but then when I add about 100 or so, both fire and the Maxwell Render get stuck in voxelizing.
I let it run for 45 min. and the render didn't even start... It stays stuck in 25%.

Can someone try the two MXSs I have and see if you get the same results?
Sketchup file is also included.

Tree2.mxs has 3 trees, and it renders fine.
Tree2-more.mxs gets stuck @ 25%/

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nbyxwqaobg9cswl/l-Lp3mqsX7

I will eventually need to render a large site with many trees... Do you guys think these trees are too high poly to use over large areas?
Is that the problem, or is it caused by something else?

PS: I got the trees from here: http://www.viz-people.com/free-stuff#content

Thanks.
By JDHill
I get similar behavior here -- using any more than 54 instances of this MXS reference, voxelization stops at 50%, with CPU running @ 8% (one thread) for an unknown length of time thereafter. Since I've rendered thousands of instances of MXS references before, also written from Rhino, I guess it must be related to the actual mesh geometry. So I would check the mesh in Rhino and try to clean it up if you find any problems. Unfortunately, this advice is the extent of what I can do for you, besides working up a report for the core developers.
By gtalarico
Ok. Thanks for the info JD

My Rhino knowledge is very limited (open OBJ Tree, Export MXS : )

Is it helpful for me to submit this somewhere else in the forum, or is your report enough?
How can stay informed if there is a work around or fix for it?
By JDHill
You don't need to report it elsewhere, I'll take care of it. That aside, though, I downloaded all those trees, imported the one you're using into Rhino, built & assigned the materials, exported an MXS, and then swapped this into the MXS reference in your scene, and it works fine. I tried it using both Rhino 4 & 5, with the only difference being that 5 didn't import the UVs correctly. So I guess I'd try again, or else try importing the OBJ directly into Studio to make the MXS, instead of going through Rhino.

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]