By Richard
Just had to post to claim bragging rights! Hehe!!

V2!! Yeah!

I'm waiting out on the upgrade for now - since I've asked a few questions regarding the fix of instances intersecting and licensing before making a decision to kick the can or too wait for the release of Thea!
Congrats on getting the first post in Richard! Of course on this forum Rip Van Winkle could have nearly beaten you to the punch :D

This forum's too slow. Maybe I'll just start using it as my personal blog so everyone can keep up to date on how many cookies I ate for lunch and such.

-Brodie
BTW, I'm in the same boat. My company will pay for the upgrade but I'm going to wait for all the hub bub to die down a bit. I think the upgrade will be worth it no matter what considering what I've seen so far. However, if they didn't fix instancing I'll be right there with you with my protest sign.

-Brodie
Yeah mate I think a lot of SU users have generally given up - too many options available now and with another soon to be released I'd imagine a lot of other platforms will head there too! I'm waiting for the price release there before considering updating to MR V2.
Here's a question I have. Maybe you're more familiar with other rendering packages. For the way I work and the scope of projects I do I feel having Maxwell's Studio is pretty essential. Even if I used proxies I couldn't handle having 4-6 different kinds of high poly trees plus 8-20 different cars in Sketchup. The files would be huge and autosaves would kill me. So currently I insert my trees and cars individually into my model within Maxwell studio.

How would you, or how do other SU users that you know of, handle having to render directly from SU with high poly scenes?

-Brodie
brodie_geers wrote:Here's a question I have. Maybe you're more familiar with other rendering packages. For the way I work and the scope of projects I do I feel having Maxwell's Studio is pretty essential. Even if I used proxies I couldn't handle having 4-6 different kinds of high poly trees plus 8-20 different cars in Sketchup. The files would be huge and autosaves would kill me. So currently I insert my trees and cars individually into my model within Maxwell studio.

How would you, or how do other SU users that you know of, handle having to render directly from SU with high poly scenes?

-Brodie
Mate It depends on the tree or the car!

I've been working on making some trees that are awesome and even on mass don't bring SU to a halt, same with cars - I don’t know if you saw my low poly car thread on the SCF or here you could literally have hundreds of those in scene! Problem is I need to get around to making a library of them! Time! I wish I had time and money to get them going I think there is a massive market!

For me if adding high poly trees I always do it in studio, one good tree will bring SU to a halt whether using proxies or not!

Pavol was going to try and add the functionality of substitution of high poly MXS components for low poly place holders upon export but this seems to have died in the bum or NL don't see much potential in supporting the SU plugin anymore given the dying user base.

Mind you the PPB seems to be absolutely ripe with SU / Maxwell users, not sure though it well could be the quality of the architecture and quality of presentation desired or the mass of support I give there answering questions and giving tips and advices (think they would throw me a free upgrade for that!). 

I just wish we could urge NL to continue to pursue the option of component substitution; this would for me break the back on the competition with the SU community. I think that could be a race though, who ever gets there first wins!

I don’t think NL are realising the potential of SU with regards to architecture, I’m certain there is not an office out there without it! If I could get my cars and trees up and running man I seriously feel the two SU, MR and some best in show low poly components would make it the combo simply a must have with no alternative!
Yeah, I thought that replacement thing that pavol mentioned some time ago was going to be a go. I was really excited about it. Sad to see that it died off.

I did see your low poly car thread awhile back. I thought it was quite excellent. I'd definately be interested in that sort of thing. Placing cars in Maxwell Studio is quite a pain.

-Brodie
I wonder what happened to the MXS switch, as well as the UV gizmo. It seems that NextLimit has had Pavol so busy updating the plugin for each new release, that there hasn't been time for these features.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]