By JDHill
The generated tile size will be globally consistent, regardless of SU scaling of the group or component. I think I will keep the size @ one foot, simply because it strikes me as a better choice for the majority of cases (floor tiles, bricks, etc.) -- one meter seems too big for most common textures that I see around. Even when that's not the case, it's not like you aren't easily able to change it to one meter by setting your mxm tile repeat values to 0.3048.
By Richard
Thats great news JD that was what I was hoping, though darn about the 12" thing, I'll probably just stick to mapping then as I already go a bit dumb every time I work with tiling rates in Mxed always go the wrong way first up then get it right.
By messire
could you please stick to metric system!!!
i'd rather see 25cm scale than 0.30something....its easier to scale using metric than convert feet to metric resulting in not plain numbers..
Remember metric is the international language!!
As you say main textures for arch. viz are usually below the meter...( wood planks, tiles etc..)
thnx
Nils
By numerobis
messire wrote:could you please stick to metric system!!! i'd rather see 25cm scale than 0.30something...
+1 :?
By JDHill
It is metric already -- it's precisely 304.8mm. I really don't care whether the number is metric or not -- I've grown up using both systems; do you remember Hettich's System32? The point (as Francois understood) is that a meter is too big, so shall I use 250mm as he suggests? This is all very temporal -- eventually you will have direct control over the size, and this discussion will be irrelevant.
By JDHill
Chuckle... I think, though, that you've pinpointed the real reason why imperial still exists -- it's only because that saying doesn't roll off the tongue very well in metric.
By Richard
I suggested a larger repeat (1m) on I guess the other point, arch materials often rely on varied unit sizes and some still tied to an imperial equivalent! I even earlier upon first request of user set options thought about and hinted to a smaller repeat though then considered when I would use the auto scaling feature, and then considered it actually wouldn't be for any such materials that will rely on critical map placement!

Given the inability in SU to set a map offset applicable on returns (ie making a brick map place correctly when paint to faces that go around a corner), the map to the return face will always need positioning and cant reply on just auto scaling for placement!

The times I think most will use any autoscale feature is for materials of either a landscape nature - grass, gravel, pavement etc where map size in model is often largest and most modifier images contained at differing scales in the MXM, and therefore represent the largest group to gain from use. Others would include water, arch glass, painted work - materials that cover areas we even calculate as architects in area by sq.metres, I feel likely far less on bricks, tiles, panels etc, where again map placement is most often critical! As mentioned about reliance of arch materials and critical placement, the quickest way model for rendering in SU is to apply a map to geometry early and correctly place the starting corner point and then actually model off the texture's visual units rather than actual measurements - this can cut modeling and mapping time to a fraction. Using this the value of autoscale is lost on consideration to such materials IMHO!

I think even the original choice of 12" isn't made because 12 is a nice number it was because it represent a standard imperial measurement - one foot! One is a nice number!

As JD said this is simply an early applied and temp limitation, though the discussion is likely relevant to future topics and even the setting of this figure as a default wake up important to the new user!
By Fernando Tella
JDHill wrote:Chuckle... I think, though, that you've pinpointed the real reason why imperial still exists -- it's only because that saying doesn't roll off the tongue very well in metric.
I spanish you would say the same thing with this sentence: "Das la mano y te cogen el brazo" Translation: You give the hand (translated literally; meaning: "shake hands") and they take your arm.

JFYI :wink:
By Richard
Funny in Australia we'd have something similar - I've got 12" but I don't use it as a "rule"!
By brodie_geers
Richard wrote:Funny in Australia we'd have something similar - I've got 12" but I don't use it as a "rule"!
haha...ok, you're country wins this one.

-Brodie
By Richard
JD - any updates, I've got a stack of render work upcoming and looking forward?
By JDHill
It'll come when it comes. I'm on a newer SDK than Maxwell 2.0.3, so the plugin update will be synchronized with the next Maxwell update. Even if that weren't the case though, there are a couple of obscure instance-related bugs in 2.0.3 that render it nearly unusable with this plugin.
By Richard
Well there is some news at least, now wondering what will be in the next MR update!

Thanks mate!

what about gpu maxwell q project?

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]