If I create a default rectangular light in Rhino and don't apply a Maxwell material, I see that it gets a default value when exported (15 watts, 3.4 efficacy). Changing the "Intensity" parameter doesn't change the exported value. Was wondering if it was supposed to or not. If not, maybe this could be added to a future update? Maybe multiply the value by 10x and export it as lumens so 100 would output 1000 lumens.

Second thing is I noticed when I applied an emitter mat to the rectangular light directly, when checking its Maxwell properties, it says that the material source is "by layer" even though this is the default layer with a default Rhino material applied to it.
It's actually a bit more complex than that, the watts & efficacy values are determined using formulas that account for the light's "shadow intensity" (the "intensity" one doesn't exist in Rhino 4), the scale of the scene, and the global emitter multiplier (in Scene Manager > Output > Export). But that is all just so that the plugin does something with the light -- since scene scale is arbitrary, there is no good way of determining a workable realistic value, and you really should assign a real Maxwell emitter material.

The material source being "by layer" is misleading; lights in Rhino don't have material assignments, by-layer or otherwise, so I should probably detect that the currently-selected object is a light and remove that from the UI.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]