By kami
I wanted to ask if there are any plans to change the way motion blur is working in rhino right now.
Maxwell has these great possiblities for motion blur (as shown in this video https://vimeo.com/131303401) and I think rhino does not support most of that so far.
Since bongo 2 has been officially released, it would be good if we could control the motion blur in correlation with bongo.
For example, the amount of motion blur via the shutter speed and also the intermediate steps for the motion blur like shown in the video.
I think none of that is possible right now, but maybe I'm missing something?

At least having the possibility to control the motion blur for a camera movement via bongo would be great. right now, the only possiblity I have is, if I activate the motion blur for the camera: it takes the difference between the last and the new camera position. For an animation export that results in the first frame not having any motion blur, and the other one have a shutter speed of 1/24s (if you render out 24fps). If you then want to export the animation again at a later time from the same instance, the first frame will be blurred totally, as it is using the last exported frame from before (= end of camera motion) as the camera initial position.
The combination of always losing the first frame and not having any possibility to change the strength of the motion blur is a bit restrictive ...
By JDHill
The two things (camera & motion blur) are unrelated, when it comes to what you see in Mihai's video.

Regarding camera blur and shutter speed; shutter speed affects only exposure in Maxwell, not motion blur, which means that the amount of blur is purely based on the distance the camera has moved between points A and B in the MXS file. This means that you can obtain any motion blur you wish, simply by exporting the desired number of frames per second. When you see a plugin basing motion blur on shutter speed, it is just an illusion -- the plugin is simply using the shutter speed of the current camera to decide how many frames to export for a given time span. I can look into the possibility of creating a way of doing that here (I'm not sure, off-hand, if it's possible for the plugin to direct Bongo to move to arbitrary points, or only to integer positions already defined in the timeline -- you see that the former would be necessary, if the plugin were to be able to do this), too, but please keep in mind that this would just be window dressing -- you can, and have always been able to, accomplish the same thing, already.

The "light trails" in Mihai's video are another matter. Where a camera has only two positions in an MXS, an object may be exported with any number of positions, each assigned a certain "time" value between 0 and 1. The Rhino plugin does not support this so-called transformation motion blur (as opposed to so-called point level, or deformation blur, which is supported by the plugin, and in which there are only two points per vertex, as with a camera), because it is incompatible with Rhino's generally "world space" approach to geometry. In other words, if objects exist directly in world space, with no local frame of reference (transformation within world space), then it is not possible to generate this type of motion blur.

Regarding problems with first-frame blur, the only thing I can suggest is that you start the animation one frame earlier than necessary, so that the points of motion exist in the actually-desired first frame. I don't see much way around this, since by definition, we cannot know where the camera "might have been" in a frame previous to any that actually exist.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]