By polynurb
Hi Jd!

it seems clipping planes can be moved but not turned on-off in a fire session via the rhino properties .

should be possible or?

thanks,
d.
By polynurb
just checked that turning the clip plane layer off works!
By JDHill
I guess you mean that if you un-check all the view names in the clipping plane Obj Props page, the plane should no longer be used. Objects in Maxwell not being related to particular cameras, trying to obey those checkboxes would present an issue when you'd click between viewports, so it's not supported to disable the clipping in Maxwell that way. However, you can disable the plane in Maxwell by using the Hide command on the clipping plane itself (that's why your workaround of hiding the layer worked)... but of course that also doesn't directly correlate to what happens in Rhino, since there, a hidden clipping plane object keeps on cutting geometry. The two features being implemented so differently, I don't know if it will be possible to come up with something that a person would really call intuitive.
By polynurb
thanks for the background info.

i do not like to run the show selected command within a fire session, but using the layer to control the clipping plane is totally fine. but hiding them visually is the only way to prevent them from rendering or? that is a bit conflicting with the usage of CPs when modelling/working in rhino along with fire.

maybe the clipping plane could have maxwell properties? and the default is to have it off.. so on can pick which to always render..just thinking loud.
By JDHill
Frankly, I doubt I would invest time into adding a dedicated UI just for dealing with this. However, what about if I were able to change the rules such that:
  • a) If a clipping plane is active in any view, it is active in Maxwell.
    b) An active clipping plane is active, regardless whether it's visible.
I think that would more closely match what Rhino's doing. I'm not saying for sure it's possible, but if so, would you consider this to be an improvement?
By greengreen
What are the current rules for this? I've been struggling a little bit the past day, I think some non-active clipping planes that were visible were acting as booleans. I don't know, but maybe they are active in other views than the one I am using, which is challenging because I create a lot of camera views.

It seems to be working now that I am hiding all clipping planes that I do not want to work, are the a) and b) rules that you described the current way they are treated in the plug-in?

Great tool, I'm loving this addition to Maxwell 3, thanks JD
By greengreen
Here is a screenshot of how I'm using it. I'm rendering different cuts of a proposed housing development. I can't tell why certain clipping planes are used as booleans, but as long as I hide the ones I don't want it works fine.

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]