By f64cg
This seems to be a hard question for me formulate but maybe someone can see what we're getting at here....

Is it possible to have a film back size with a height larger than 24mm be completely (full frame, edge to edge) visible in the Rhino viewport when the output resolution is set manually?....or even if its on the viewport preset?

We've never been able to input our actual camera sensor size (36.7 x 49mm) into the film back field, match our camera lens focal length, and be able to see the edges of our renderable area in the Rhino viewport. We've developed a pretty robust workaround maintaining the film ratio and recalculating our lens focal lengths to match (or be close enough) but its always kind of bugged me that I don't know what's going on here.

Seems that the viewport is relationship is somehow fixed to the height? and if one increases that number the edges of the full render are outside of the visible space and the user is alerted to this via the red hi-lit space to the sides of the visible space.

Can anyone explain...?
By JDHill
It is because Rhino's viewport assumes a film size of 24xN mm or Nx24 mm. This is the whole reason for the existence of the plugin's camera HUD -- if the viewport could show arbitrary film sizes, I would do that, rather than providing a HUD to overlay it with a graphic representation of Maxwell's film area.
By polynurb
the shorter side will always be stuck to 24mm... what i do sometimes is use a bigger FoV and set the maxwell render region to
a smaller area so i can see everything at once, but for exact lense matching it is a bit tougher, as the math has to be right!
By f64cg
:D Many Thanks JD and Poly.

That was pretty much what I was expecting to hear but its nice to hear from someone else that I'm not missing something HUGE.

Most of the time we are rendering components that'll be dropped into existing Photographs shot with our Hasselblad, so I typically set the backplate image as the viewport wall paper then use the 'define film back' tool grabbing the edges of the frame and refine with the number inputs. Then I'll set the focal length to the 35mm conversion of our Medium format lenses....most of the time we're within a mm or so of focal length accuracy and typically only we can tell if its a little off as we've been staring at the work for many hours by that point. Seems to work pretty well..but i'm always looking for ways to be more precise and accurate.
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]