By polynurb
is there any way to access the "material picker" window from command line?

i am thinking about ways to work with a reduced UI and i'd like to have something like a pop up selection window for assigning materials. It seems there is a good way using the material picker, but i only get to it clicking onto "browse" in the rhino-material tab inside the object properties window. is there any other way ?

thanks,
daniel
By JDHill
That window is only shown at Rhino's request, which occurs when you click the Browse button in Rhino's material UI, or on a layer's material. It could be requested at other times, but that would be Rhino's business, and I don't know a way of making that happen via RhinoScript.

Here is something else that may work for you, though. First, open File > Properties > Rhino Options > Keyboard. In the F4 macro (I just picked that because it's empty on my machine), enter the following:
Code: Select all
NoEcho !_Maxwell_SceneManager _Materials _Visible=_Yes _Enter
Then, put this in the F5 macro:
Code: Select all
NoEcho _Maxwell_ApplyCurrentMaterialToSelectedObjects _Maxwell_HideSceneManager
Now, when you hit F4, the Scene Manager will pop up, with the Materials tab selected. You can then select a material. You can then select some geometry (you would want to have Options > Auto-select Materials switched off, since if the geometry already as a material, it would become selected at this point), and hit F5; when you do, the material you selected will be assigned to the geometry, and the Scene Manager will be closed. It would also work with pre-selected geometry, but in that case, you would need to mouse-click somewhere in Rhino before hitting F5, since the Scene Manager will have window focus.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]