By JDHill
Maxwell for Rhino
Version 2.6.15 Release Notes

Changes
  • The Output page now more closely matches current Studio.
  • Disabling Maxwell Fire no longer clears the rendered image.
  • Added new Maxwell_MakeMaterialsUnique command.
  • Cut/copy/paste material components using CTRL+X/C/V.
  • RefreshAllTextures now invalidates texture thumbnails.
  • Import .SKY file dialog now remembers its previous path.
  • MXM References are cleared when rendering in Maxwell Fire.
  • The plugin now explicitly checks for cycles in MXM References.
  • Added support for Hide-from-x attributes on block instances.
  • Added new Reset Render Properties button in Object Properties.
  • Added Load/Save Plugin Options commands in Options page.
  • If an MXM-Linked material is modified, it gets an orange border.
  • You can now update linked MXMs from the Materials list.
  • Added new Network options (Start Node/Manager, bind to IP).
  • Solved issues with an NVIDIA (perhaps Optimus-related) driver.
Fixes
  • Show Sun in Viewport feature was broken.
  • Emitters were being read/written incorrectly.
  • Values could sometimes be initiailized incorrectly.
  • MXM & IES paths were considered invalid when empty.
  • Material thumbnail text could remain unset in some cases.
  • Vector displacement UI did not allow negative Scale values.
  • Default colors were not loaded when running Rhino 5.0 x64.
  • The plugin could crash when reading certain MXI files.
  • Changes to IBL textures were causing Material Editor updates.
  • Same-name layers could present a problem under Rhino 5.0.
Notes
  • As noted, the Output page has been updated to reflect newer Maxwell output options: channels & channel formats, mxi output, etc. The Maxwell_MakeMaterialsUnique command can be useful when you intend to insert or import one document into another; it assigns new internal IDs to materials in the current document, subsequently preventing them from being considered the "same" as matching materials in another document.

Much work has also been done behind the scenes regarding MXM Linking; reference paths are zeroed-out when rendering the material in Maxwell Fire, allowing temporal changes to be previewed. When such changes are made to an MXM Linked material, its border will change to orange, as mentioned above; such a material will preview and render as it exists in Rhino, but not in Maxwell, since the MXM file to which it points has not been changed; to push your changes back to the source MXM file, use Options > Update Linked MXM in the material editor, or the new Update MXM(s) item in the Scene Manager > Materials context menu.

Regarding the new support for Hide-from-x attributes on block instances, and the new Reset Render Properties button: the latter is necessary in order to support the former. The reason for this is that blocks (with these attributes set) may be included in the definitions of other blocks; setting an attribute on the parent block will override that attribute on all children. It is therefore necessary that you be provided a way of clearing attributes from a parent block, thereby allowing its natural attribute inheritance to once again be respected.

The rest of the changes should be fairly self-explanatory -- I write these notes because the plugin manual has not yet been updated for this preview build.
Downloads (please do not share these links)
By Cadhorn
> Show Sun in Viewport feature was broken.
Thanks JD! That was driving me crazy. I didn't realize it was broken and figured I was just forgetting how to do it somehow. :lol: (Clicking the wrong button or something).

I really appreciate all your hard work on the Rhino Maxwell plugin.
By kami
Hi Jeremy
Thanks for the update and the changes made! Really am happy about a lot of them.

There is one issue with the display of textures, I noticed for quite a while and now I figured out when it happens:
When you change the values (eg. brightness) the texture somehow gets smaller

cheers,
Christoph
By l1407
I try using the Refresh Viewport Materials command, ok at the moment, but when I save file and open, it is the same case. I need to use the Refresh Viewport Materials command.

But the Refresh Viewport Materials command is no function, when I assign a mapping. So I need to redraw the object again.
By JDHill
l1407 wrote:But the Refresh Viewport Materials command is no function, when I assign a mapping
If you are adding an explicit mapping using Rhino's texture mapping functions, then that is correct. Objects which use Real Scale should not use explicit Rhino mappings. Even without an explicit mapping, though, Refresh Viewport Materials may sometimes be necessary.
By kami
just one small thing:
when copying files from another file (eg. an old version of the project) into the new one, you get the question if you want to change the to a layer assigned material to the state of the imported file. you can eighter accept the change or keep the currently assigned material. there is a tick to remember your choice. when I select it, I have nonetheless click the same for every layer which has a different material. It does not seem to make any difference. Is that right?
cheers, kami
By JDHill
Thanks, that's a bug. If you never want to see the dialog, you can do that by setting Options > Suppress Material Conflict Dialog to Yes; in that case, your choice will be determined by the setting Options > Prefer Imported Materials. The Repeat for all conflicts checkbox (if it wasn't broken) applies separately to each import.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]