By Marc
Dear group,

I'm trying to create an average lightbulb. However when I try to render the image, the glass of the bulb seem to "block" the emitter of the filament. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
The glass of the bulb is 0,5 mm thick. Also I noticed a difference in a Fire render (even when I set the values very high), the actual render in MW and the preview in MW. It seems the preview is doing the render as expected.

Kind regards

Marc

P.S. Maybe a dumb question, but I would like to attach images, but haven't found out how to:)
By JDHill
I don't think I'll be able to answer this without having a look at an example Cinema file, so please upload one to Dropbox (or similar) and post a link to it. Regarding posting images, it is necessary to upload the image to a site like imageshack.us and use [img][/img] tags to insert a link to it in your post.
By JDHill
Yes, and it allows me to pinpoint the problem, which is that by using a dielectric (i.e. real glass) for the bulb, you are setting up what is a very difficult case for an unbiased renderer like Maxwell: in order to reach the camera, a light path must leave filament -> enter glass -> exit glass -> reflect from wall -> enter glass -> exit glass -> enter glass -> exit glass -> reach camera. Though there is nothing physically wrong with this, and though Maxwell will eventually (it would take a very, very long time) solve the image, a more realistic approach is to use an AGS material for the bulb, especially since it is thin and would have minimal actual refraction.
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]