By oannes
Searched for a whie but did not found what I was looking for.

I want to animate the surface of a part of a machine, changing it from metal to glass.
How can I do this with maxwell?

Thanks a lot for answers!
By JDHill
I would probably do this by having a duplicate of the surface -- so one with glass, the other with metal (just a bit above/outside the glass one), and then animate the Opacity of a Maxwell Object Properties tag, attached to the metal surface. The other approach would be to animate a Cinema material, which would be auto-converted differently on each frame, but I don't think it would work -- I don't think there's any way (may be, but I didn't try to find one) to do a smooth transition from a transparent, to a metal material.
By eric nixon
Actually it can be done, by animating the position of a mapping channel (controlling a layer weightmap)... probably a B+W gradient type map.

You can make different kinds of fades depending on the map, and the type of animation given to it (rotations or linear moves)

Heres a little render sequence I made years ago as proof that it works;

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0sz5g ... q/fade.zip

Obviously any maps position can be animated, bump maps for example...
By oannes
Thank you very much for your efforts!
I have tried JDHills solution.
Not really satisfying...

I would like to give eric nixon proposal a chance. So far I have not worked with such a method, which means, at first I will have to find out how to do that.
By JDHill
What he means is that you would create one Maxwell material with two layers; one layer contains BSDFs to create a glass material, and the other to create a metal one. In the Mask map for each layer, you would then put the same map (say, a black-to-white gradient), but inverted in one mask, such that animating UVs for an object assigned this material, it would shift from using the one layer to the other.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]