By jrm1
Is there a tutorial explaining why some material previews in C4D don't look right? Arroway Wood for example mapped onto a surface has some preview of the material with a huge blank space where there should be the material. I'm trying to move over from Sketchup at last, but find this to be a huge obstacle. Hopefully easily overcome.
By JDHill
My best guess would be that either the material's (or the MXM's, if linking to an MXM) active texture is not set to tile, or that Tile has been disabled in the texture tag to which the material is assigned. However, I have no MXM named "Arroway Wood" here, tiling is enabled in the textures of the wood-type Arroway MXMs that I do have, and I am just taking a guess at what you might mean by saying "blank space." I could be more precise if you posted a screenshot showing what that means, and if you supplied the MXM you are actually using, as well as the Cinema file where it's being used.

As far as tutorials go, the best ones (imo) for Maxwell for Cinema 4D are those found here.
By jrm1
Sorry not to respond to your reply…and thank you for answering.

I'm using the Arroway materials that Jason Maranto kindly made from the Arroway textures. He made a second set which he batch-named with the suffix _1X1. These were set up I think to help mainly those people having trouble with tiling in Sketchup.

In C4D I didn't think there was the same issue with tiling so I assumed that the 'standard' set JM made (without _1X1 naming) would work on objects without any problems. It's probably just me who's having this issue and I apologise for my ignorance if that's the case. Anyway, if I load arroway_wood-079a_1X1 and drop it onto a surface, it looks fine. If I load arroway_wood-079a onto a surface it doesn't. The texture appears to have gaps on it. The tag was set to tile but the MXM was only tiling on one axis, the Y. Also the tiling was set not to 1 x 1 but 3 x 4. I wonder why that would be.
By jrm1
Oh and I'm going through those tutorials. They're great. The guy's got a great voice - so calm!!
By JDHill
I couldn't say why a material might be set to repeat in only one axis; generally speaking it will either be set to repeat in both, or else in neither, where the intention is to create a decal. Besides looking at repeat mode, it is also best in Cinema to make sure your textures are not using Maxwell's so-called Real Scale feature (appears now in the MXED UI as Projection > Method: Meters). This will not make a difference if the repeat values are set to 1.0/1.0, but it will otherwise, since it changes the meaning of those values.

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]