By JDHill
I don't know how that was done, but I can tell you that there is no support in Maxwell for altering material properties within the context of a single frame. You could render an animation that did it, though, by keyframing the Luminance channel of a Cinema material.
By timberresheim
unfortunately, this didn´t work.
i keyframed the luminance channel for 50 frames, didn´t convert to a maxwell material and set the camera´s exposure to 2sec.
it just shows one color.

any other hint?

thanks in advance
By JDHill
As it appears you figured, you should not use the Convert materials command in this case -- we are relying on the fact that the plugin will do a conversion on-the-fly at each frame, where Cinema will have altered the luminance color based on the keyframing. The emitter color will be constant in each individual frame, but will change over the animation; if it is not doing that for you, I'm not sure what to tell you, and would probably just ask you to send over your file (jeremy at nextlimit dotcom), so I can quickly tell you what to change.
By JDHill
In your file, animation was not enabled, so I enabled it, and then test-rendered your 50 frames. The shutter was actually set to 5 seconds, making the blur much longer than the entire movement of the emitter through the scene, so I reduced it to 1/2 second. However, if we look closely at the result, we see that it isn't correct (just let me know if you'd rather I didn't post this):
The reason is that it's not really valid to alter the color from frame to frame, since while some point in the motion blur trail for frame N will have one color, when the object actually reaches that point, it will have another -- in other words, the problem is that the entire motion blur trail can have only one color. Which means it couldn't be done correctly unless Maxwell was able to "blur" material parameter values over time.

So to return to the original question about the promo image, you would need to ask Mihai (he made it), because though it may look like a motion blur effect, the only way I see for it to be done is with geometry. I might have a recollection of him commenting that it was done using hidden emitters, but I'm not sure.
By timberresheim
wow, amazing how much effort you put into that, thanks!!

animation wasn´t activated, because i wanted to have a long exposure still frame....
how can i get a hold on Mihai? is he in this forum?

really : thanks and have a great evening!

tim
By JDHill
You can find him around (he's a forum admin), but instead, I'd recommend making a post about it in the main forum -- if you're specific that it's about this image, he'll surely see it and comment, and you might also get some creative suggestions from other people.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]