By hoik9
Hi,

I just installed Maxwell 2.7.20 and Maxwell for Cinema 4D 2.7.23 R12-R13 following instructions.
Stand-alone program seems opens up just fine but I can't find Maxwell under plugins or under shader menu on C4D.

I have OS 10.6.8 and Cinema R13.016

Please help!
Thanks in advance!
By JDHill
It works fine here (with R13.017, to be accurate), so I would first make sure that the directory structure is correct. For example, the main plugin file should be able to be found by Cinema, inside of a Maxwell folder, inside of Cinema's plugins folder, like this:
  • /Applications/MAXON/CINEMA 4D R13/plugins/Maxwell/Maxwell for Cinema 4D.dylib
If the location is correct, then I would check that the permissions (in Finder, right-click the Cinema folder > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions, check that your user has at least read permission, and then make sure to click the "gear" dropdown and choose "Apply to enclosed items" when you are done) for everything in the Cinema folder are okay, in case Cinema is not allowed to see the plugin files you have copied into its plugins folder.

If that does not help, I would re-download the plugin, in case it was somehow corrupted during the original download. Also, if you downloaded the 2.7.23 plugin before 9 Nov, delete and download it again, since the original upload was corrupt.
By hoik9
Hi JDHill,

Thank you so much for your super fast response even on a weekend. I really appreciate it.

But I started all over - downloading and installing maxwell_render_v2_7_20 and Maxwell_for_Cinema_4D-2.7.23-R12-R13 again
but it got me in the same exact position where I can open Maxwell 2 fine but not Maxwell for Cinema. Can't see Maxwell under plugins menu or under shader.
I triple-checked the file structure and permission, they're all good. I even opened up permission of the all Maxwell files to 777.

OS 10.6.8 / Cinema R13.016

Thanks again,
John K
By JDHill
If everything is correctly in place, then I am not really sure what to tell you. As I wrote, my Cinema version is slightly different than yours, so conceivably there could be a difference there, and you might try updating Cinema (link here); probably not a bad idea regardless. Some further questions would be, first, is there anything printed in the Cinema Console window after startup? The plugin prints a bit of information there as it attempts to load. Second, no specific reason for this, but does it make any difference if you start Cinema as 32-bit (or 64-bit, if you are already using 32-bit)? Third, have you had a previous version of the plugin loading into Cinema on this machine, and if so, what version was it? I'll let you know if I think of anything else to check.
By hoik9
I just updated C4D to 13.061 which I think is latest version.

1. Cinema console prints other plugins I have but not Maxwell.
2. I can start C4D in both 32 and 64 bit mode.
3. I didn't have previous version of Maxwell installed on this machine before.

I doubt this would be the case but I had made a mistake once downloading and installing Maxwell for CINEMA R14 in plugins folder,
but I deleted it and installed proper version (R13).

Once again, thanks a ton for your help, I would have been frustrated to death by now.
By JDHill
Well, unfortunately, I am out of ideas for the moment. If nothing is printed in the console, and no errors are given by Cinema, I can only conclude that Cinema is not trying to load the plugin. And the only cause I can think of for this would be for the directory structure to be wrong. So just to rule out any possibility of that, I would ask you to post a screenshot of your Cinema directory in Finder, in tree view, with folders expanded to show the plugin files, and with file size and date columns visible in the window. I know you wrote that you checked this already, but let's just have a look to see if there is anything else wrong. To post an image on the forum, you need to upload it to a sharing site (imageshack.us or similar), copy the image URL into your post, and surround it with URL tags, like this: [URL]http://www.somewhere.com/my-image.jpg[/URL].
By JDHill
Thanks, I see no problem there. I do not have these other plugins to test with, so next, it would be good if you could temporarily move all but Maxwell out of the plugins folder, and see if it makes a difference. I see it also looks like you have a Cinema R11 installation there; it would be interesting to know whether the R11 plugin loads okay for you.
By hoik9
Removing other plugins in R13 didn't do the trick but I copied and pasted Maxwell folder on R12's plugins folder and it worked fine.
So it's narrowed down to R13 now.

Thanks!
By JDHill
Ah, so you have an R12 installation too; checking with that is even better than with R11, since the files tested are physically the same, so we are able to prove that the plugin itself is fine: it contains all of its files, they have not been corrupted by download or unzipping, and they are able to run on your machine. The only possibility this leaves is that there is something amiss with your R13 installation; unfortunately, I cannot tell you what that might be, since I cannot reproduce the behavior here, and since we now know that the plugin does not have a problem running on your machine.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]