By jc4d
Hi all,

First of all finally I upgraded to R13 after so many years with the good old R10 :D
Cinemaxwell 2.6.11.0, C4D R13, win7 64

Now I found what I think is a bug related with maxwell instances and render instances. I upload 2 screenshots showing the behavior is a little difficult with words.

Cheers
JC
By JDHill
I can't determine from the screenshots: what is the Maxwell Instance instancing, if anything? Instead of trying to explain, could you please just upload the file?

Secondarily, just to mention, I don't understand the use of Maxwell Instances, if you are on a version of Cinema that has Render Instances; at some point in time, the Maxwell Instance will not be supported anymore (specifically, once I stop supporting versions older than R11.5, when Render Instances were introduced). Not that I won't try to fix any problems with them for now, but eventually, they will go away, unless someone has a really good argument for keeping them.
By jc4d
I didn´t know that the only reason for maxwell instance is because older cinema version without render instances. I been using R10 for so many years and I have a lot of objects with maxwell instances, so I guess is time to start replacing it little by little.

Here is the file, just activate render instance and make render and then deactivate render instance and make a new render.

Instance.c4d

Cheers
JC

PS.
Is there any difference and/or advantage between MXS references and native Xref in C4D?
By JDHill
Thanks, I'll check it out. And yes, the reason for the existence of Maxwell Instances is that in older versions of Cinema, an Instance (or currently, an Instance that does not have Render Instance enabled) is not really an instance, it is more like an interactive copy. By using a Maxwell Instance, you could use millions of instances (some supported versions of Cinema are 32-bit only, remember), since it does not add more geometry, and instead just draws a bounding box for the instanced objects. This is similar to how Cinema Render Instances work, though, so there is no longer much reason to keep the Maxwell Instance Object, especially seeing as how most installations will be running on 64-bit.

On replacing them in your documents, you would not need to do that -- a Maxwell Instance that already existed in a document would continue to work, but I would remove your ability to create any new ones.

Regarding Xref vs. MXS References, they are just completely different things. With an MXS Reference, similar to above with a Maxwell Instance, they require very little memory, except for a short moment when you initially load the MXS (it needs to be read), since they just draw dots or bounding boxes in the viewport. An Xref, on the other hand, may or may not take extra memory while you are modeling, that is up to Cinema, but during export, the document must literally be loaded, in order that the geometry it contains may be exported into your MXS file.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]