Hi guys - so, I have a tree model sitting at about a million polys, and I need quite a few of them for the scene I'm working on. The problem is that after creating just a few instances my viewport is already nearly unusable, even with a very low point cloud density. Are there any tricks here, or is this simply a sign that I should be in the market for a more powerful machine?

I'm using Maxwell 3.0.1.0 and plug-in version 3.0.12 with Maya 2015 on OS X.

Thanks!
I use a general trick for such events, no matter plugin version or 3d host app. just use 2 versions of the instance, one very light (like only the stem and some leaves) and one good high poly one. just play with the filenames, and after positioning all the instances overright the lite one with the high poly one... and reload scene.
choo-chee wrote:I use a general trick for such events, no matter plugin version or 3d host app. just use 2 versions of the instance, one very light (like only the stem and some leaves) and one good high poly one. just play with the filenames, and after positioning all the instances overright the lite one with the high poly one... and reload scene.
Thank you for the idea - that seems like a good way to go. I can get everything positioned the way I want then just turn on the original instances for render. In fact, I could probably just hide the instances and parent them to a piece of simple geometry to get everything lined up correctly.

I'll play around with some things, thanks for getting me in the right direction!
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]