By limbus
Hi,
When I start FIRE from within Maya it takes approximately 20 sec. until FIRE starts to render. This is with an empty scene.
Full Restart from within Maya also takes 20 sec. Closing the FIRE window and opening it again also takes 20 sec.

When starting FIRE either in Maxwell Studio or Modo, it starts to render immediately.

System Infos:
Windows 7 x64
Maya 2014 (all Service Packs installed, node locked)
Maxwell Version 3.0.1 (also tried the latest Beta but nothing different there)
Maxwell Plugin Version 3.0.12

License Server is running in a machine in the network. Ping to that machine is <1ms.

I also have Maxwell 3 on a laptop (Mac OS X) where the license server is running locally. I don't have the 20 sec. delay there in Maya.
I changed the license file so that the client accesses the license server via IP but it makes no difference.

Cheers, Florian
By limbus
I solved it.
Our license server is using a non standard port. Apparently the Maya plugin has to get a license everytime FIRE is started while Studio or the Modo Plugin don`t. And the plugin apparently does not fail when it can't get the license from the standard port but tries different port until it finds the correct one.

An error message would have helped here.

Cheers, Florian
By Mihnea Balta
I don't think the RLM library can tell us what it's doing when it's trying to locate a license, so there's no way for us to issue an error message in this case. We just ask the lib to reserve a license, and it comes back with an answer after a while.

We can try to cache the license reply, so that you only wait the first time when starting FIRE when such situations arise.
By limbus
Mihnea Balta wrote:I don't think the RLM library can tell us what it's doing when it's trying to locate a license, so there's no way for us to issue an error message in this case. We just ask the lib to reserve a license, and it comes back with an answer after a while.
Ah, good to know.
Mihnea Balta wrote: We can try to cache the license reply, so that you only wait the first time when starting FIRE when such situations arise.
I guess that would help. My guess is that this is what Studio and the Modo plugin are doing.

Cheers, Florian
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]